Where to buy Suspension for Sportline Cabrio??

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by wfarrell, Mar 26, 2011.

1. wfarrell Forum Member

Hello all,

My ageing (but much loved) Sportline cabrio's suspension is literally on it's last legs -- MOT advised the dampers were weeping fluid. More like crying fluid !! ;)

Anyhow, i'd like to give the car a full suspension overhaul to OEM/factory spec (new dampers/springs/plates/bushes etc) but am really struggling to locate suitable parts. Dealer gave me a blank, GSF and ECP also no joy :-(

Any advice on where i might buy OEM spec suspension parts would be much appreciated.

Regards, Will

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  2. mexicorich Forum Member

If your Cabby is a nice road car I think you are right to stay with near standard suspension.
    Mine came with a horrendous G-Max kit and I have tried a few set ups since buying it to try and sort it out. Cabs are considerably heavier than a standard tin top and they then suffer a further weight transfer to the back with the hood folded as you are probably aware. In my own opinion, on broken northern roads they are already a bit short on suspension travel to begin with, without lowering them.

I suggest you keep the original springs if they are not broken and you match them with new bushes and mounts if necessary together with some decent new shock absorbers.

My car currently runs BOGE Turbo gas which I can recommend for a road car although I would probably have preferred BOGE Progas on the front if they are still available.

Amongst the various setups I have tried, in an attempt to source original standard springs for my car I bought BOGE cabriolet springs but found them to be far too low and soft, so just a warning not to go that route if you are tempted ( i still have them if anyone wants them for a tin top)

Although I have never had it confirmed, someone I know who had a number of Cabbys over the years when they were rather newer suggested from his experience that the later cars ran revised spring rates and behaved rather better than the earlier cars so your Sportline maybe has the best road springs that could be hoped for.

If you are determined to replace your springs, send your original ones to me please!

3. mexicorich Forum Member

Also, if your front springs are damaged, my car runs Mk2 Gti 8V front springs with half a coil cut off which seems to give a similar stiffness to "uprated" spings that I have tried from G-Max, Boge and Eibach but retains something closer to a standard ride height with great ride quality.

I've yet to find a suitable rear spring though if yours are damaged

4. Sportline_G60 New Member

I have BOGE Turbo gas on my Sportline mated up to 30% uprated Eibach springs. Its actually not bad at all, handles like a roller skate yet is still comfy. Explore the Various spring options. I would ring Demon Tweeks and ask them as they have access to a shed load of springs ranging from near std to full on motorsport. Worth a try and then you can just research what they say.:thumbup: