which 16v manifold?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by hooblah, May 26, 2010.

1. hooblah Forum Member

I'm after a decent quality manifold for my ABF mk1. I've concluded that I want a 4-2-1 manifold but from what i've found, there are only 3 choices:

1. Supersprint

2. one made by Big Boys Toys

3. Raceland/Hottuning

Can anyone comment on any of these?

Are there any others?

Thanks guys!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Supersprint are good. I also used to have a TSR one. That was good.

3. Hilux Forum Member

Supersprint is quality but will still take work to make it fit.

The oxygen sensor (if you are using the ABF ECU) needs welding in, the headers need a cut and shut to clear the steering rack gaitor and the sleeve needs extending as does the security tab.

Once bought if you then need a fabricator to weld it (I welded mine myself) you are better off with a custom probably for the same money.

The hot tuning I cannot comment upon but I shied away from that in case it needed cutting and shutting as its stainless steel I believe. When I sent them repeat questions as to fit quality before I bought I was met with total silence.

4. hooblah Forum Member

hmm. ive seen the supersprint going for 400+, how can they justify anything but a perfect fit for that price!? are people paying that much or is someone doing a good deal on these?

and if youre going to cut and shut then arent you better off getting the hottuning one?

5. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

I dont think you should discount the standard cast manifold with some flow work, and a decent performance downpipe..

I have found the torque loss at low end with four branches on 16v's not particularly worth the gains at the top end - (on an otherwise standard engine). - For a road car, and up to 160-170 bhp the standard item isn't a restriction!

Its a different case if the engine has a decent hike in CR and cams and managment etc.. - To make the best of the changes.

6. hooblah Forum Member

The engine isnt staying as standard ;)

7. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Good Good!

Make sure you run a solid front mount, or uprated unit and flexible join in the manifold, otherwise it'll fatigue and crack!

8. hooblah Forum Member

how is everyone else dealing with the supersprint manifold not fitting/cracking? oh and the price!

9. Hilux Forum Member

Recommendations/suppliers please, thanks.

10. hooblah Forum Member