which amp and sub

Discussion in 'ICE' started by 8valvenut, Dec 23, 2008.

1. neil kaye Forum Junkie

yes it will ,in some cases anyhow cause iv made this mistake b4,getting the wrong polarity makes the speaker loose its bass and sound a bit quieter
    the easyest way is simply switch them round and see if theres an improovement

2. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

Wiring the polarity of the driver incorrectly can result in cancellation and no bass will be heard what so ever. So double check them! All this does is tells the driver which way to fire. I.e. On a bass note the speaker should fire outwards, but if the polarity is wrong it will fire inwards, resulting in a loss of depth and bass response.

With regards to the sound the best thing you can do is to get a pair of components in there and run them off a small amp.

Components offer a far superior sound compared to coaxials. This is because comps have a separate tweeter and crossover, which enables you to place the tweeter in such a position (i.e. mirror plate) to lift the sound stage. After all, when you go to a concert, do you expect the sound to come from the floor? In car audio, the higher the sound stage the better in most cases

Comps really are the way to go, but are always better off amped up. A mere 50 watts rms per channel would be enough to get them sounding how you want. They are crisp, clear and very loud!

Dont ever buy any car audio purely from looking at the "max" power ratings. These are figures plucked out of the air by the manufacturers and dont actually have any meaning at all. The RMS figure is what you're interested in. There are other factors which come into the choice of suitable drivers, but at this stage it doesnt really matter.

One more note, steer VERY clear of fli, vibe, fusion and all those other "halfrauds" makes.

On a budget you really cant beat JBL gear.

These JBL components powered from this amp will blow you away mate. For this kind of money it's by far the best you will get.

If you still find yourself wanting some low end response, in the form of a sub then i'll see what i can do.

Also, im not 100% sure what size speakers a mk3 will take, so i have assumed 5.25".

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  3. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Cooper Gti please tell me i bought the right ones this time lol in the Mk3 the speakers are 6.5" (17cm) so i bought some JBL CS2165c 6.5" 135W.. Power Handling, RMS 45 Watts Impedance 4 Ohms. i have not put them in yet but when i do what is the reccomended way to install em i was going to completely remove all the existing speaker set up and start a complete fresh straight from the head unit to the new speakers crossovers tweeters etc then when fiances permit i will install a small sub and amp in the boot..
    am i on the right track ??
    :-D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

are they coax or components?

6. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

they are components 2 tweeters and 2 main speakers with crossovers :thumbup:

7. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

they are components 2 tweeters and 2 main speakers with crossovers :-)

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if they were mine i would use them to replace both the existing speakers. its up to you weather you can be bothered replace the tweeters though. i would just use the existing "crossover" thats in the car too

so just unscrew the current woofer and replace it with the jbl one.

9. MR D Forum Member

I have a fusion amp and sub in my roc nowt wrong with it as far as i am concerned ! got some jbl door speakers and some kole tweets running off 1 amp,then the sub running of the fusion amp in bridged mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Head unit is nice jvc kdlh401,only put it all in this year been sat in boxes since xmas 05 ,as car was not on road

[​IMG]

10. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

The best bet is to gut the whole lot mate.

It may take a while to do, but it will be worth it.

You really cant go wrong with JBL components. Or anything made by JBL for that matter.

You need to use the JBL crossovers cus they are suited to the woofer and tweeter. They will be set to the correct frequencies and also, im not sure what the standard crossovers impedance is.

You can power them off the head unit, but that is going to put about half their rated power into them (20rms ish) which isnt really enough to get them to sing. If it were me i would put a good 60-80rms up them.

Try and install the tweeters as high up as possible. Head height is ideal. It can sometimes help if you angle them towards you too. This will lift the sound stage and will give you the sound you're after.

My old JBL comps in my saxo used to make the mirrors shake! Im sure these would too if you get some good power up them!

Also, when installing the woofers in the door, it cn help to mount it to an MDF baffle ring. This helps the bass reproduction and eliminated any vibrations.

Try and uprate the cabling as well if you can. Dont go mad, but OFC (oxygen free cable) will help to get the most from them.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  11. MR D Forum Member

Yeah get rid of the orig wire,i just connected the new cable to the old then pulled it through,for the doors.know where you are then with the polarity :p

12. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

still running original fronts with my headunit, sound great with the sub (vibe 12" active bought off the bay for peanuts)

13. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

Yes, make sure you obsevre the polarity, but if you're amping them then you cant go far wrong anyway to be honest.

14. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

RESULT !! installed them yesterday and just played around with the polarity to make sure the bass was punching out the right way screwed them up tight and switched on the HU sounds amazing im well impressed with the JBL set, im still running the standard tweeters and sounds great i think i will install the proper JBL tweeters some time in the future but for now im well happy. when i get some spare cash (which aint very often) im gonna sort a small sub and amp in the boot probs 10 or 12" but ill come back to you guys when the time comes lol i left the standard speakers in the rear doors for now too just for some rear fill and the result is a nice clear all round sound with some punchy base i may slap a bit of dynamat in the doors when i come to put an amp in too as there tends to be a little vibration at high volume but tbh i prefer quality to volume anyway not bothered for now.. just want to say thanks for eveyones input on this for me its been a massive help and i learned a little bit on the way too.. i will be back for more help and advice when it comes to amp time thanks again people :thumbup: :thumbup:

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

give the tweeters a test run. ive heard lots of people complain that tweeters can be over bright. i think the OE tweeters are pretty good

god i want to put some hifi back in my car now

16. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

i agree i dont have a problem with the way it sounds with the OE tweeters but i will test the JBL ones just out curiosity (if and when i get chance) i have always been one for bodywork and mechanics on cars but since a started messing around with ICE i quite enjoy it and im learning a bit too i also installed a seperate DVD player in the bottom glove box to a roof mounted flip down screen that runs through the HU speakers via the aux in on the front of the HU or 2 sets of infrared headphones for the back so the kids can watch a film while i listen to my tunes all at the same time and everything is all remote control too :p
    i also installed a 5" quick release screen for the front that goes in the little cubby hole in front of the gear stick so the missus just plugs it in and watches a movie too if and when she feels like it sometimes a bit dodgy for me i keep trying to look at it when i driving lol but i doesnt get used very often and im learning to ignore now too

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  17. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

Glad you like them mate.

Just wait when you amp them up. They will go as loud as your ears will take and retain crystal quality.

Although i would definitely, 100% put the JBL tweeters in. When you amp them up, the standard tweeters will probably cook and they wont keep up with the mids.

You can flush mount them in the door easily enough. They look quite good and you can position them where you like. Try them in different using blu-tac.

18. neil kaye Forum Junkie

hope your battery is good with all the extras in :lol:
    might be able to help with the amp situation when you get some spare change,iv got a faif few that are surplus,ill show you them when you come down

19. Cooper_Gti Forum Member

You only really need to start lookin at the charging system when you've got a good 1kw rms or so.

But i would definitely recommend amping your comps.