which block fits directly onto a 1.8 DX kjet head?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by waj786, Jun 27, 2018.

1. waj786 New Member

Hi All,

I'm helping a friend get his project mk1 gti cab on the road and at present the current DX engine is burning a lot of oil …Cyl 1 +4 are down on comp, wet test improves this so its likely to be piston rings im guessing…

ideally he wants to keep the car a 1.8 Kjet so doesn't want to do an engine swap, however we can't seem to find any complete DX engines or complete blocks we can drop in for a sensible price, so until we get around to rebuilding the original block in the future (he plans to keep the car for quite sometime) I was wondering if a mk2 carb block will bolt up and work with the DX head whist retaining everything as it was i.e Kjet,oil cooler…etc etc.

I've had a look online and seen several 1.8 carb engines removed from mk2's or mk1 cabs going for reasonsible money hence I thought I would ask on here before we proceed…

If the above is possible can someone please confirm the following:

1. how will this effect power?

2. would anything be needed to adapted for the block/head to fit i.e the 2.0 8V requires a dizzy kit from TSR

3. Anything else we need to be aware of or may have overlooked in regards to replacement options for a complete block?

Thanks you advance!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can use any MK1/2/scirocco 1.8 carb or GTI 8v lump, EV, GU, EX most common codes you'll find :)

1-3. no problems to worry about at all as they're all the same. only difference on the 1.8 carb bottom end vs GTI is theres a fuel pump on the front, which you bin and replace with the WUR plate :thumbup: