which block....

Discussion in '8-valve' started by sam-ski, Mar 2, 2009.

1. sam-ski Forum Member

basically my idea for my golf is to drop a 1800 in there and run it off my weber carb...

now whats the best block/head to use?

1800 8v driver engine?

or

1800 8v GTI engine but with the injector holes filled in (1p or sump plug etc)

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

The GTI one will make a little bit more power, but if you've already got a driver engine, just use that. Stick a cam in it to up the power a bit?

The other downside of the GTI engines, is that they tend to have had a tougher life, although there are PB engines in passats...

3. sam-ski Forum Member

mines a 1600 driver, made 82bhp on the rollers, want more power though =]

4. newkid

newkid Forum Member

the basic 1.8 blocks are the same units. The difference is in the heads. The gti head has larger exhaust valves (not sure about inlets). So you will see a couple more ponies escapin from the paddock. Plus if you need to utilise the coolant channel from the head to the inlet manifold you will have to drill your own hole in the gti head whereas it's already there on the driver head. Depends really on what you have planned for it and how bigger power you want to achieve?

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you could always fit the GTI crank, rods and pistons into you driver block.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ah, from what you wrote, I thought you had an 1800 lump.

If you can find a decent 1800 or 2.0 bottom end, or a whole 1800 engine, then great!

If not, skim 1mm off the driver head, to increase the CR up to 10:1. Increasing the CR makes a big difference to the 1600 lump, as it's only 9:1 to start with, as opposed to 10:1 for the 1800, and about 10.5:1 for the 2.0.

I've got an 1800 block and pistons you can have, if you're anywhere near me. It's just the bare block and pistons though, so not a complete bottom end. To be honest, I think you'd be better off looking for a whole engine.

The closer ratios in a GTI gearbox box would make a big difference too - probably more difference than 200cc extra, but if you do a lot of motorway cruising it'll cost you a few MPG.

BTW, it's a gearbox drain plug that fits the injector holes, not a sump plug!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think it's the inlets that are bigger in the GTI - 40/33 in a Mk2 GTI, vs 38/33 in a driver.

8. sam-ski Forum Member

ok....

Could i fit the 1800 crank,rod, and pistons and then skim the head to increase the CR to 10:1, then say add a 8v gti exhaust manifold and exhaust system? then getting the weber set up and jetted to suit...

what sort of gain would that little lot give me?

how hard would it realisticly be to swap the crank, rods and pistons?

easy to have a go at myself? im fairly confident with taking stuff apart and have a general idea about how engines work etc and am not affraid to get stuck in....

cheers guys

9. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

A lot of work for little reward I would imagine....

I think you'd be better off starting with a 2.0, alot cheaper too!

10. sam-ski Forum Member

what a 2.0 out of a mk3?

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

problem with the 2.0 block is driving the fuel pump on the front of the block, you would need a new fuel pump to suit to.

but as Jolfa says 2.0 would be better

12. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

If you're planning on carbing then you'll need the pump for them anyway...

Loads of 2.0 options, but if you're buying a new engine, may aswell get 16 valves too ;)

13. dogzila Forum Member

Driver 38/31;)