Which crash helmet?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by VR6Will, Oct 8, 2005.

1. VR6Will Forum Member

Just after your advice on what would be a good value for money crash helmet and where would be a good place to buy it, i really dont have a clue. [:$]

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

this is perfectly adequate for trackdays and karting. or for a little more money this is a very decent helmet.

or if you want an open face, this is good enough, though i don't personally like the design and would prefer something more like
    this though it obviously costs a lot more.

demon tweeks are good to buy from as you get quality service, good stock levels, and if they send you a helmet that turns out to not be quite the right size they'll change it no questions asked.

of course, you could also choose to just buy a motorcylce helmet (theres a shop near waitrose on our town) which is a lot cheaper, or take a risk on a second hand one from ebay (not necessarily the most sensible decision tho).

3. Keith R Forum Member

Try on as many helmets as you can. The important thing is that it fits properly.

4. iguana Forum Member

Nip down to J&S bike shop in Newbury (clocktower end of high st) huge selection of lids.

For racing- regs say you do need a pukka car lid, but for track days bike lids are fine, good enough to protect your head hitting the road after all! tho obviously dont have nomex lining etc like car lids.

Decent bike lids 50-500 so im sure somat will suit!

Shoei & HJC fit my melon the best.

5. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

As iguana has said make sure u had a "Car Lid" if u r planning on doing motorsport, u will not be able to use bike one. As a mate of mine found out at the last sprint he did [:^(]

Had to lend him my lid so he could compete.

You can get some decent lids for 150 notes or there abouts,I find that when i borrowed a mates bike helmet the vison was alot less than my lid (urine pot)

Defo try on as many lids as u can, make sure it fits nicely

6. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Thats good advice. I found that when I tried on the Sparco medium lid, it was quite tight around my temple. Tried the Aria GP5K and it was perfect fit, so i decided I'd go with that even though the price tag was rather steep.

7. druid16v New Member

My advice

Dont buy second hand. Once you drop a helmet its ruined and there is no real way of finding out if its been dropped.

Motorbike helmets are fine so long as they have the 2 stickers at the back of the helmet on the bottom. (ACI Sticker if i remember rightly)

I have an arai helmet quantam f.

It cost me 400 a few years back but the fit and quality is second to none. All the padding is removable and you can wash it. good vision all round and has some vents to keep your nut cool. and quick release visor facility is nice if you want to swap your clear visor for a tinted one.

As for some of the other makes, ive used shoei before and also dainese although that helmet only lasted 8 months before i destroyed it on a track day.