which dizzy to use?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Ratfink89, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Ratfink89 New Member

I'm in the middle of helping a guy at work put together bits for his 8v xflow motor. To go into his mk1 Caddy.

The Base engine is a DX block bored to 1.9, with a xflow head (I can't remember which one off the top of my head),
    with bike carbs hanging off the front.

The one thing we're not sure on is what ignition system to use. ideally it'll be something nice, cheap and simple (ie. points and condenser)

will the mk1 gti dizzy work with the dx intermediate shaft?

Cheers
    Dan

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

A DX engine was fitted into Mk1 Golfs from '83. Might as well keep that one for now, although the advance curve on a standard dizzy won't be perfect for a modded motor, but it should still work well enough. Keep the wiring, coil and the ignition amplifier from the original setup. Easy to find one if you don't happen to have it.

There are two different types of plug on the side of the dizzy. Early oval type and later rectangular type.

Definitely a DX/EG type dizzy rather than the later digifant one that doesn't have mechanical advance.

Steer clear of points - they're unreliable and don't like to rev hard.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. Ratfink89 New Member

It's a digifant one :( and there is no wiring, so it'll be a nice bespoke loom.

Been thinking today and considered a points one with a luminition or similar in it, OR a later one and grab an ignition amp from the bosch catalogue and build that.

cheers
    Dan

4. mark25 Forum Junkie

If you want to get anywhere near the best out of that engine configuration then the ignition timing will need to be right. A standard ignition advance, or adjusted standard ignition advance is going to be a compromise in drivability and power over at least nearly all, or more likely all of the rev range. I would suggest the Megajolt programable controller with a ford EDIS coil and trigger system as the minimum requirement. It will then need to be programmed by someone who knows what they're doing, with the time and conditions (RR for the high revs) to get it right.

The alternative is an engine that won't tick-over, doesn't react to the throttle and melts it's pistons, or one with no power, which sort of defeats the object....