Which ECU??

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by nickveedub, Mar 16, 2015.

1. nickveedub New Member

Hi everyone, i've bought an engine off of the 'bay (2.8 VR6) and unfortunately didnt get the ECU. It's an ODB1 on a Dizzy, but wondered if anyone knew which ECU's would work?? I obv want one that isnt immobilised, but know that some ECU's (such as 021 906 258 bk) arent immobilised, but are from the coil pack engines, does it matter? Or do I have to get one of the ones from the Dizzy engines? (021 906 258a, b or c?)

The engine code is AAA002144

thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

assumign you have the wiring loom as well for an easy life you want an early ecu from early dizzy engine, as the wiring differs for the coilpack engines. you can convert the looms to suit early-late coilpack ecu (as in pre-96 with isv, but late enough for coilpack. confused yet? :lol:) it will involve adding a couple wires to ecu and finding a coilpack plug. If you want to go this route post up and we can help with that :)

alternatively just get the right loom to match ecu, and worst case if you end up with post-96 ecu you'll just need to swap a few bits n bobs over from post-96 engine. the old parts are still saleable so chances are you'll make your money back anyway. for the immobiliser plenty out there who can defeat it, or if you get a mk3 immobiliser box with matched key and loom its 4 wires to make it work and 2 minute vagcom job to match it to any post-96 mk3 ecu :)

advantage of converting/swapping to coilpack loom is itsd much cheaper/easier to get the rev counter working on mk1/2 dash, couple resistors and off you go. with dizzy you need a signal and cylinder converter box which are often pretty expensive

3. nickveedub New Member

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats just the engine side of it, but yeah its a coilpack one can see the 5 pin plug on there for it :)

5. nickveedub New Member

Ah cool cheers pal, that will be back up on ebay when I receive it then ha ha