which head gasket?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by treebirch, Mar 6, 2011.

1. treebirch Forum Member

Just started the build of my ACE, I have a hotgolf flywheel, 4 branch, KR cams etc and was wondering what headgasket would be best. Also, should I get a wee skim and if so how much? I don't have lots of cash to throw at it at the moment and I don't really need to go beyond 170hp.

Thank you!

2. Fray16v Forum Member

Hi that would be an ABF multi layer steel head gasket.
    got an ace conversion on the go myself so i'v done a lot of thread searching on here into this and found most people think the MLS ABF gasket is better than the composite alternate.

3. treebirch Forum Member

cool, thank you. I already have a TSR item but it seems quite thick?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

either metal or fibre 2.0 8v/16v gasket will be fine. not like you hear of any of the earlier 2.0 having hg troubles

5. treebirch Forum Member

I wonder wether the TSR one may have been a waste of money or simply not necessary for a reliatively low power build?

6. rubjonny

id assume tsr have just supplied you with an oem gasket?

7. treebirch Forum Member

Umm, not sure, i actually bought it from a forum member. It is a multilayer (4 layers) item with code -29305-00 then below TOP 42 RNZ 08, that helps to shed any light on the matter!

8. rubjonny

probably just astandard steel abf/late 2.0 8v/16v one :)
    if thats what you have then i would fit it

9. treebirch Forum Member

Okay, spot on, thanks for your help. Could you shed any light on the correct oil filter housing that I need to get my hands on. I have an ACE lump that was mounted inline in it's previous life!

10. rubjonny

depends on the age of the block, later ones have the top bolt hole offset like this:
    [​IMG]

if it is as above then you need a MK3 filter housing, if not its MK1/MK2/Scirocco filter housing. but check the MK2 one before you buy as the very late cabby/mk2/rocco got the MK3 style filter housing

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I was advised to go for a metal ABF item (original part)

12. treebirch Forum Member

Legendary information sources, thank you all!