Which Headunit For...?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Dietrich, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Dietrich Forum Member

Which headunit for my MKII Golf should I go for this Christmas? Online / local shops - doesn't matter as long as it gets here within 3 weeks. ;)
    First things first - I am (ideally) on a budget. Want to go around the 150 mark.

Spec. wise (ideally):

Gonna' be rigged to my 12" Soundsteam SPL sub, 360w Pro-Plus (who? ;)) amp. and my JBL 6x9s. Not convinced it'll sound good, but if it does the whole system will come in for 200 which can't be complained at.
    Removable front panel (parentless child precaution).
    CDR / CDRW support - absolutely must play 'em both.
    MP3 support - getting greedy here, but it'd be really nice.

I'm not after the latest / greatest, just a half-decent CD player conforming to as much of the above as possible.

Cheers,

Tom

2. Dietrich Forum Member

Well, thanks to Tim in another thread:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/default.php?cPath=3&osCsid=5 19efed6b89cacab3df98f7370eee382
    Basically I want it to sound alright and support as many types of MP3s / WMAs as possible. At the same time, cheaper the better so I have some change. :)
    The Kenwood strikes me as the most suitable, but heard some very bad things about 'em on here.
    Pioneer one - mate has a lower spec. one and it's ace, but then the MP3 support doesn't seem all that good / easy to use.
    Help? :(

Tom

Edited by: gbolton

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

IMO you tend to get better value for money with kenwood...tho pioneers are very good quality, but a bit over priced/over complicated.

tip...ditch the 6x9's and use put decent speakers in the o.e. locations...will sound better (even if you use the o.e. stuff), trust me.

4. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

agreed

5. Dietrich Forum Member

Kenwood doesn't sound like a bad choice then? Ace.
    'Tis my intention to get rid of the 6x9s - no need for the bass / distortion they'll ultimately give if I've got a sub taking up half the boot. Got them with the car though. :)
    Cheers guys,

Tom

6. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

well if your near a halfords get yourself down there now as i work there i know theres not many left,
    we have cleared the sony mp40 at 149.99 mp3 player which is by far one of the better makes, much better than kenwood

7. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

I`ve had Kenwood in the past, not very reliable IMHO, I sold it in with the car, I was glad to get rid of it TBH [xx(] Alpine next time;)

8. Dietrich Forum Member

Ah, so many people, so many different opinions. :(
    I need to let my 'rents know ASAP as I'm getting it as part of my Christmas presents.
    Which of those would you say is the best at around the price bracket? Fair play to going up a bit if it's worth it..

Tom

9. crizpolo16v New Member

Alpine CDA9815RB

Retail price is 500 but caraudiodirect.co.uk is doing a christmas offer of 319.99.

Ive got it and believe me its well worth the money but if you cant go that far then I would recommend a lower down model cos IMO Alpine are the best :p

10. Dietrich Forum Member

Reality check. :) Alpine are way outta' my price range if I want MP3 support. :(

Tom

11. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I got this.

310 from caraudiodiscount

12. crizpolo16v New Member

Cheapest Alpine mp3/cd head unit I found is for 269.99

13. Dietrich Forum Member

I've gone for the Pioneer:

Fold down front.
    ID3 support.
    Name I can trust.
    Looks none-too-shabby.
    Got an alright review on that site.
    Random play.
    CDR / CDRW support.
    Sub 150.

Can't complain, thanks.

Tom

14. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

that not bad mate,

well done,

tim

15. Madbloke Forum Member

Quote - "well if your near a halfords get yourself down there now as i work there i know theres not many left,
    we have cleared the sony mp40 at 149.99 mp3"

Sony and Halfords in the same sentance --- laughing my ass off --- Last time I went there they tried to tell me the Alternator belt was the same as the Power Steering belt --- even when i was pointing it to em - chorlte.

Ordered Pioneer MP3 the other day, just turned up now (3 days aint bad) http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=29 08&taxonomy_id=25-121 130 all in --- New boxed class A stock etc - Nice

Sony :clap: :clap: :clap:Classic
    Edited by: Madbloke

16. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

excuse me!!!!!!!!!
    yeh some halfords people are stupid but i just work there as its a job, it gives me money, its not my life!
    only telling ghost where theres an ace deal!

Edited by: VWSaxon

17. nuggo New Member

Sony and Halfords in the same sentance --- laughing my ass off [/QUOTE]

what u mean the biggest audio retailer in the uk and the part inventor of the CD/biggest manufacturer of audio products in the world!!

dunno what ure problem is TBH!!!

if i dint use Alipne then Sony would be next!!!! ;)

18. Admin Guest

without a doubt alpine! i have an alpine mp3 player and it's the best headunit i've ever had. Have had Kenwood,Sony,Pioneer in the past, my second choice would be kenwood!

19. Madbloke Forum Member

Yup Nuggo --- All the ones I've ever dealt with are to be honest are Muppets ---- (Not saying you are Saxon) but when I asked for an aerial for a MK2 Golf (not that I wanted one, I just wanted to see what they would try and sell me)they tried to sell me a rear wing mount aerial --- For a mk2! --- Classic.

Sony may do good tele's etc but there car Audio leaves quiet a bit to be desired - the amount of people I know who have had one and its bollo*ed within a year is startling --- Even the missus's headunit only lasted 14 months and the changer was repaired 3 times in the same period. Spend the extra and go for Pioneer

Everybodys got their own preferences though havent they [:D]

20. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

yep thats true mad bloke
    im a pioneer man myself, they're brill!
    ive got pioneer 3400, one with the dolphins, pioneer DAB, pioneer sub, pioneer speakers, oh yeh and pioneer changer. all pioneer except me amp which is 4 way phoenix gold, muchos goodness!!!!!!
    what you got madbloke? [:D]