Which Radiator?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Jimic, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Jimic New Member

I have a mk1 golf with an ABF and my radiator is on it's way out. I've seen a few mk1's with radiators which can be fitted under the slam panel. I was wondering if anyone knew what radiators are being used, or whether they're custom rads?

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I havent found the 'right' one yet, and will probably get one made. I started looking a couple of weeks ago. Good luck, if you have more luck than me, please share the good news

3. richie_gti Forum Member

4. Hilux Forum Member

Hi

I have an ABF in my Mk 1 and use the standard 525mm radiator (from the larger engined Mk 1's) bought from GSF. The original one was a 430mm type as it was a 1.1L originally.

The top brackets simply bolt into various holes in the bonnet slam panel and there are corresponding mounting holes in the top valance panel under and behind the grill giving you three or four varying positions laterally along the car.

I got a s/h fan shroud panel and simply swapped the fan over.

It is absolutely fine when running (hard) in hot weather and the gauge sits about 1/3 and around 1/2 when idling in very hot weather but is normally always at or around 1/3. The fans cut in and out properly also.

It fits with no issues at all so there`s a relatively cheap option