Which sat nav to use...

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by golfpaul, Jun 20, 2008.

1. golfpaul Forum Member

... for my N95 8gb.

I did have tomtom software on my old nokia and wondered which one, if any, were best.

ta all.

2. gavin_keogh New Member

sat nav

Hey,

If your looking to go the whole hog go for the fitted in unit, kenwood do one but pioneer have just put out a new one called the f900bt pioneer.eu

let me know if ya want any more info i have it in my mk5

gav

3. paulyDMX Forum Member

Once sunny St Albans, now delightful Deal, Kent
    I've only just seen this post, but I've got a N95 8GB and have downloaded Garmin Mobile (free from Garmin's website).

You have to pay for the maps, definately don't get them from thepiratebay or similar as this is illegal!!!

Plus point is that it works with your phones internal GPS, so you can delete Nokia maps for ever!

4. golfpaul Forum Member

Cheers ar' kid.

5. golfpaul Forum Member

Where did you download it btw?
    I cant find the n958gb on garmins site - how did you get it for free?!

6. paulyDMX Forum Member

I've got all the instructions somewhere to get it all up and running - I'll have a look on my laptop and post the link up

7. golfpaul Forum Member

cheers fella.

8. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

I get on quite well with Nokia Maps (V2.0) to be honest, I'm still enjoying the 6month free subscription, though.

9. paulyDMX Forum Member

I could never get a signal with Nokia Mpas and when I did it would get me lost and then lose the signal again.

I only got 3 days free though, not 6 months - they can't of had too many people taking them up on the offer?!

10. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

This is using the new(ish) 6210 Navigator. GPS reception is pretty good from most vehicles I've tried, plus it also has A-GPS which used cell data to triangulate as well.

And it looks a helluva lot smarter than the N95 -and less brick like too :)

11. paulyDMX Forum Member

I have personally found my N95 to be complete cack - I don't get on with it at all. At least I only signed up for 18 months and have got ****ing ages to go before I can upgrade!!!

It also uses cell data to find where you are on top of the internal GPS. It seems to find satellites a lot quicker using Garmin Mobile though and doesn't keep insisting that I'm driving through a field when I'm suprisingly on a road.

12. Mikey C Forum Member

i use tomtom on my N95, it works very well.

Plus points are - i can play mp3's, work tom tom at the same time and know if a call comes through and have all through the car radio.
    always got tom tom, used it once when ****ed (edit:drunk, is p*ss an swearword!?) and lost

cons: its a bit of a faff to start up (u have to configure gps reciever in tomtom every time)
    battery doesn't last long - couple of hours maybe full to dead.

i d/l it off torrent things, and use the binpda crack to get the gps to work, it took a bit of searching to get it all and working, but it is worth it.

Mike