Which swap

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by DanGolf111, Oct 15, 2014.

1. DanGolf111 New Member

Hi there im new,

Just got myself a mk2, its 1.3 and id like to do an engine swap on it. The 1.3 lump is already out, but I'm not sure which swap to do. Ive looked into the 1.8t route but a few friends have recommended to do a pd engine swap but I'm not to sure. The only issue i really have is that the original loom of the mk2 has been cut, the whole engine bay loom is missing. Will this have a big effect on me completing an engine swap?

2. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Not really, you will need to buy some extra wire to make connections or head to the local scrapyard for a loom from another car , if your car is 90 spec I'm pretty sure some mk3 looms will do
    Do you have the bits that plug into the fusebox still and run through the bulkhead ?
    If so it's an even easier job

3. Joe16v Forum Member

You could upgrade to ce2 even out of a mk3 if you can work through what wire needs to go to what pin.

What engine depends on what you want the car for. Diesels for doing the miles,if not petrol all the time.

1.8t can be costly, best to get a whole donor car but simpler than a pd to do.

4. DanGolf111 New Member

The mk2 is a 87 plate, I'm not sure what loom it has? I was planning on using a donor car for either swap. I don't want anything for miles, id just like something quick that pulls well through all gears. If it helps its been cut on the offside right next to the master cylinder.

5. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

CE1 electrics In your car
    And where it cuts means you at least have the fusebox plugs so not a major issue to wire a 20vt in [emoji1]

6. DanGolf111 New Member

What would i exactly need to wire in? Just a few sensors etc to the fuse box? Sorry for stupidity im not good with wiring. Haha

7. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

If you're no good with wiring, get someone to help you with this and what ever else you're not good at or its not going to happen mate
    will just end up an unfinished project and lost money ....not good :(

I went 20 valve in mine, both swaps you're talking will cost money to do right even with free help/good hands doing the work

"the whole engine bay loom is missing Will this have a big effect on me completing an engine swap" No, original looms are dead easy to replace and are plug and play.

8. Joe16v Forum Member

you need to pick up a replacement engine bay loom as you need your lights and fusebox power etc. 20vt loom and ecu is a standalone system off a live feed. There are people that can deal with the ecu and loom.

If you can get your head around wire colours and terminals and find out what does what it shouldnt be too hard as it's all plug and play

9. DanGolf111 New Member

Okay thanks for the advice, i have the headlight wiring, but the loom area for engine is missing, like starter and alternator etc, i did think qpeng would be a good solution but I've heard as much as bad about them? Im very interested in doing the pd route as i was told i could use most of the wiring from the donor car anyway but i have only seen this done on threads with ce2 looms, if i got a whole ce1 loom back into the car, could i then do this even with a ce1 loom? Or is it more complex than that?