Which uprated brakes to go for?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Dayno5, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Dayno5 New Member

Hi everyone

Just looking for a bit of advice

I have just bought a 1999 mk4 1.8t to take on track... I'm wondering if the standard calipers / disks will be good enough with some decent track pads or
    is there a decent upgrade available? ... ideally that doesn't cost to much?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers
    David

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

What`s your track experience ?

If you are starting out, I`d recommend some EBC YEllowstuff with the OEM calipers and some fresh brakefluid.

If you have done a lot, get some better pads, but I wouldn`t initially.

3. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

The MK4 golf is a heavy old beast and the standard stuff just isn't up to the job. Even with good pads, Been there done it.

Brakes at the most important part of a good safe enjoyable track day. The Leon Cupra brembo upgrade is a very cheap way to step to the next level of brakes. brembo 4 pot caliper with 323mm discs. Price start at 300 up to 500 for a full conversion kit. Best money you will ever spend.

4. NBirkitt Forum Member

Good advice from pascal77uk.

Equally, depending upon what becomes available ( eg good secondhand )... 312 mm dia. discs and calliper carriers, from Anni / 180 PS 6-speed Mk 4 GTI are a simple bolt-on / worthwhile upgrade, fits under standard 16-inch rims. Or complete Mk 4 R32 front brakes (needs 17-inch rims), both upgrades especially so with EBC Yellowstuff pads. Good stainless-steel braided hoses and a top quality fluid like Ate Super blue equally important.. Been there, done that... :-)

5. Dayno5 New Member

Thanks I appreciate the response! Yes I have done a few track days and have owned a couple of track cars but ive never built one myself and have no real experience
    with golfs.
    The leon cupra upgrade sounds interesting!!! Do all Leon Cupra run Brembo? Is it a case of finding someone breaking one and taking the calipers and disks off?
    or is it not that simple? What other parts do you need to fit them to the mk4?
    Cheers

6. Dayno5 New Member

I have found a 6 speed gti on ebay that's being broke... ebay item number 181911021348
    Is this the right car for the disks and calliper cariers?
    is it a noticeable upgrade for the brakes? worthwhile?
    Cheers!

7. Thai-wronghorse New Member

That particular car will have the exact same brake set up as your own, 288mm front brakes and 232mm solid rears.
    You want 312mm fronts minimum and 256mm vented rears ideally.

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

9. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Personally I'd go for the brembos. AK47 of brakes and known as mini GT calipers. Other options will be a slight improvement but these are substantial upgrade for reasonable money.

These have near brand new track discs and track pads calipers are good apart from a bit of flaky paint. Also the right calipers for mk4 golf. I'd offer him 350 cash and collect them if our close

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brembo-bi...241148?hash=item1a08f236bc:g:0OYAAOSwI-BWIPEI

10. Dayno5 New Member

Thanks a lot chaps...really appreciate the info! Yes I agree the Brembos sounds really good especially for the right money!
    Thanks a lot for the brake sizes link aswel! interesting stuff, Ill have a think!
    Cheers

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What did you acquire in the end?

12. JTechPerformance Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

There is a LOT to be said from using performance brake fluid.. The likes of Motul RBF660 and Castrol SRF are superb.

In my opinion this is a more important factor than pad material within reason.

pascal77uk likes this.