Which VAGCOM software do I need?!

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Dennis10, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I know to goto Rosstech for the software, I bought a cable off ebay that came with a cd, but the bloody thing doesnt work, just hangs on my pc.

Ive got a mk3 gti 16v, ABF, the cable ive got is an OBDII one, what version do I need on the Rosstech site?
    [:s]

2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

ebay leads will only work with 409.1 properly, no matter what version of software they're shifted with, this version is most reliable.

3. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

cheers funkbaron, but on the site, it lists about 4 or 5 versions of the 409.1 can i pick any?!

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Depends on what interface you hav. Com is a 9 pin serial. or do you have usb?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'm using 409.1-s - the serial VAGcom software on a USB ebay lead - and I have full functionality.

Most of the ebay leads are usb-serial - ie, they use a USB-Serial converter inside the lead, but most come with dodgy/no drivers to suit.

Plug the lead into your car with a Laptop or PC that has internet connection available - the pc will search for suitable drivers for the lead when it is plugged in, it takes a few minutes, but it will find some. Install these drivers, then go into your control panel, system, devices - and see what COMM port the lead is on. VAGcom uses COMM ports 1-4, some USB ports on your system may be 5,6,7 etc. You can unplug the lead and plug it in elsewhere on your PC until it shows COMM 1-4, the device manager will update each time you do this, without having to restart the process.

Once you have the lead on a relevant Comm port, load up VAGcom, go to "options", then test the port your lead shows in the device manager, ie 1-4. Hopefully it'll say device found:thumbup:

Took me a long time to get this sorted;)

6. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I have had this working on both XP and Vista btw...although I went back to XP as Vista is plain crap.

7. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I have been using release 311 with an eBay interface, because 311 is the version that Rosstech suggest for no-name eBay leads. I had best results from 311. My mate on the other hand has been using 409 with an eBay lead, but he's been having problems and is about to try 311 too. All depends on the interface really.

If you use a cheapie eBay interface based upon a USB to serial converter as described by Funkbaron, then if for some reason Windows doesn't find you a driver for it, you can download a suitable one from the Rosstech site.

To change the port number that has been assigned to the interface, there's no need to keep unplugging it. Just go into its properties in Device Manager, and possibly click on 'advanced' or something like that. You get a window where you can assign the port number you want. While you're there, also set the latency to '5'.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Can you download the older versions 'fully activated' these days? I have 311 and it works fine but just gives a fault number without the description.

9. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Wierd, 311 caused my lead to "hang". I have two leads here, and one was shipped with 311, but hardly ever worked properly. Also, I knew you could assign COMM ports through the properties, but the less PC savvy may find it easier to swap usb slots on the back of the Pc and I couldn't be arsed with a long winded type out:lol:

I'll be buying a genuine lead soon, as I use it often enough to justify it and want a setup with CAN-BUS functionality.

1990 - there are ways to get around the registration issue (as with most software), and it's a bit of an aggro to setup....ultimately, though, it's illegal;) You can buy the software license for $99 which will unlock the software fully and run it with an ebay lead - the cheapest legal option.

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

illegal is my middle name.

11. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009