Which way up? Engine Mount

Discussion in '16-valve' started by benny, Oct 2, 2008.

1. benny Forum Member

Hey up,

I'm just about to get a new engine mount pressed in and need to be sure of the orientation!

This is a cambelt end mount for a mk1 (16v), but I think it's upside down - my engine was slanted down on that side. It's still got life in it, but I'm going to change it anyway as I have the parts and the engine out...

To me it should have more rubber above the 'axle' not below it - or am I wrong?

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think?

Cheers!

EDIT: Bugger wrong forum!!

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's normally a little arrow moulded into the rubber. It should point up the way.

Needs a proper press. I bought an uprated one from C&R and paid them to press it in for me.

3. benny Forum Member

Yeah, couldn't see it on my new one (VAG part)!

Cheers though!

Can't see why it would have more rubber below rather than above!

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'll have a look at mine if you like, but I'm in a different country from it at the minute.

5. benny Forum Member

It's kind of hard to see if it's in the car, though I do have a pic of mine before I pulled the engine which I could use for ref.

Hopefully someone in this country will chime in soon...When are you back? :lol:

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yours was upside down mate.

[​IMG]

Had help from Gurdip myself with this as i couldn't recognise my older one as it was a different shape (your new one will probably look like my new one above.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  7. benny Forum Member

Wierd huh?!

I did just have a Eureka moment though.... It's a good way to get your engine lower! I might turn the one on the gearbox round the other way too! The cars been like this for at least 6 years with no ill effects or rattles etc. Hmmm....

My new mount is just like the one shown in your pic.

Thanks very much for confiming my suspicions :clap:

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

For the sake of a cm or two i would put them the right way around mate.

9. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

depends if you're trying to fit a tallblock into a mk1 chassis.. it's a common trick in certain circles to get the clearance for things like exhaust manifolds and strut braces.

Maybe put a poly insert in to help absorb the load?

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

Like this, but you have to cut the 2 smaller legs off for the newer shape rubbers:
    [​IMG]

11. benny Forum Member

Aye, I hear what you're saying - shame I've not invented the trick though :lol:

I know I've seen it asked before, but where does a chap get these poly mounts from? I can never find them (for a reasonable price) when I look (short of the US of A).

Just for other peoples ref, mine has been fine without a poly mount in there, doesn't really need changing tbh.

Cheers!

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

http://www.vwheritage.com/bbt/Engine-Parts/Engine-Mounts/?srchPart=WC19922%2D505

their own part numbers are:

[​IMG]

WC19922-505 (bottom right of pic) that goes in the mount regarding to this thread.

WC19922-501 is the front one (bottom left of pic).
    WC19922-502 is the rear one (top right of pic) that also uses all those loose metal bits shown.

I think the one pictured in the top left is the Mk2 item, not sure of the small flat round one either?

I don't think they do one for the gearbox passenger side iirc?
    Pic of old one before i changed it:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/fthaimike/Track%20Car/DCP_6581s.jpg
    Though i probably won't use the poly one i original posted a picture of in the previous post but instead stick with just the poly front & rear i bought & use the standard new side ones (that i luckily had pressed in work) or it may be a bit too stiff.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  13. benny Forum Member

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

Jetta 76-79? weird that

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

You might find that you can't change the cambelt and tensioner then, without taking the mount off. If you're going to do this, then make sure you put lots of copper grease on the bolt, so it doesn't corrode to the manifold.