White Smoke coming out of exhaust abf 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Chrisrpal, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Chrisrpal Events Team

Hi Chaps,

When engine from cold, exhaust exhales white smoke with some water. When hot disappears mostly but a small amount of steam present.

I have done the taste test at exhaust end and just tasted of oily water.

I have checked rad fluid level which is ok, squeezed bottom hose and water level goes nearly to top of expansion tank, same with top rad hose. Both hoses when hot are not too hard and ok to squeeze. Heater maxtrix works perfect and all other rad hoses ok.

The water pump is pumping rad fluid round ok, has the small return hose letting fluid return.

Done a compression test, cylinder 1: 180 psi, 2: 180 psi, 3: 180 psi, 4:180 psi.

So all cylinders look the same, no water loss from cooling system, no oil loss.

So all I can think of it's either running too rich (having a polished throttle body and induction kit, may need vag-com tweaked), moisture in the fuel tank, moisture in the sump or just condensation in the exhaust system from water droplets formed from the exhaust gasses? I know cars do steam abit in the colder weather but it was 15 oc today so would of thought it'll be better?

Any idea's

2. murph81 Forum Member

Just condensation in the exhaust.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

All engines have water in the exhaust gas as a by product of combustion.
    As the exhaust tube/system gets hot, the water gets evaporated before you can see it out of the tailpipe.

4. Chrisrpal Events Team

Thanks Toyotec, that's what I was thinking (hence why exhausts rust) Car hasn't been used since 2007 and only got abf fitted and running properly jan 2012. So I am thinking since my car has been washed a few times water probably has also got into my back box and as the car hasn't had a proper run yet only on tickover for an hour I assume exhaust hasn't got hot enough to burn off the water inside.

I will get a test kit to check if oil/ exhaust pressure in cooling system from southern motor factors just to put my mind to rest. I am a born worrier!! :lol:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  5. Chrisrpal Events Team

Just what I am thinking, as per other thread reply, I am a born worrier. Hopfully the test kit will put my mind to rest. This is the second engine I have built from ground up, I did check for cracks, did head up correctly to the abf manual and had head skimmed.

My golf just seems to smoke more than my Nissan, so a long motorway run should clear most of the water if any left from when i've wash my car.

6. Willber Forum Member

Just give it some beans, be reet! :lol: :thumbup:

7. Chrisrpal Events Team

Probably right :thumbup: Have order a head gasket test kit which goes in your cooling system to check exhaust gasses, this will tell all hopefully, yay or nay!!

I really don't fancy doing the headgasket again but if I have too then so be it. Will blast the car up the motorway first to see if that sorts.

Wish I wouldn't worry so much. :lol:

8. Chrisrpal Events Team

I wonder, if the 02 sensor was faulty would the ecu pump more fuel into the engine making it run too rich?

9. Chrisrpal Events Team

I bought a coolant headgasket test kit to check exhaust gasses in the cooling system, blue for ok, yellow-green faulty. Mine came out blue, so must be worrying to much.

Aim now to get the beast through it's M.O.T then a good boot on the motorway [:D]