Who has experience of Compomotive MO’s??

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by chrismc, Mar 21, 2005.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Ive just had my set of MO's refurbed, despite the fact that they are less than a year old.... [:^(]

Couldnt claim with Compomotive as I wasnt the original purchaser of the wheels.... [xx(]

Phoned up Compomotive today, regarding some new stickers which they have be-grudgingly agreed to send FOC...although they didnt think they were liable.

The guy seemed put-out on the phone when I explained that the wheels had p*ss coloured stains on them & the lacquer/paint was peeling off in big chunks...They've only ever been cleaned using soap/water too!!

Just didnt think it was very good for supposed "Motorsport" wheels to be sh4gged within a year after maybe 3 track days & 1000 miles road use tops!....

Anyone else suffered with Compos' falling apart???? [:s]

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

There was a thread on Scoobynet where a car was written off due to the MO's literally snapping [xx(] The spoke part of the wheel parted company with the rim [:s] Maintains the wheel was the cause olf the accident and not done afterwards

Author of the thread was advised by Compo's solicitor to remove said thread. :thumbd:

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

I was genuinely shocked at how much the paint had deteriorated on them Gary...to the point where it had cracked & was falling off in big chunks....

Matt only bought the MOs 11 months ago.. [:s] Didnt realise the Brembos up front & drilled Black Diamonds on the rear would create paint peeling heat [:$]

Edit: Should have pointed it out at the VR6OC RR day.. ;)
    Edited by: chrismc

4. GVK

I've seen new sets and they have hardly any paint on the insides of them, just a dusting. [xx(]

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

That Scooby story, apparently Compomotive said tyres were fitted that gripped too well causing the wheel failure, before the tread got pulled.. [xx(]

6. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Unlucky M8, U had them done white again?

Probably got Olly's dog to blame for the p*ss coloured stains on the wheels :lol:

7. Dub20vt Forum Member

quite shocking that. never had any probs with my old compos... well apart from they all got buckled when attacked by a lorry and a few cars :lol:

sorry to hear bout that chris.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Shocking IMHO.

I remember when Ian Carvell snapped a spoke on an MO when the Lupo got written off. But that was a proper impact which wrote the shell off too...

However aren't there road MOs and proper competition MOs?

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Yeah done in white again...

Cant whinge at 50 for the set to be refurbed... ;)

Got some 195/45/15 T1R Proxes coming for 34 a tyre too so things are looking up!!

Wasnt aware there were seperate road/competition MOs', just thought it was fairly lame that they needed a refurb after 11 relatively easy months [:s]

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

seems a bit of a cop out dont it [:^(]

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I remember a conversation with one of the VW journos who had a set... Nope, it's gone.

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

advised by Comp that they only do one MO, Im not too impressed with there attitude on the phone and thats when Im just ordering wheels.

No wheels in stock the spec I wanted so they say its going to be 21 days for delivery because they have to make them, but if they go by the same script as the first 6 I ordered then it should take about 6 weeks :thumbd:

P1SS POOR SERVICE :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

13. GVK

My mate ordered a 17" set for his Cossie last week, they said it would be 5 - 6 weeks , fairly popular fitment as well :lol:

14. prof Forum Addict

would it be worth asking for the wheels bare, then getting them coated at a better place?

15. gillm

gillm ***** User

mine took 3 months to get on my car . and must admitt the finish is not that great , best of luck with your stickers chris mine came off in about a week , i ended up getting some prper ones made up . but yeh compomotive are urine poor at custmer service [:^(]

16. coullstar Forum Member

Arent the race ones a magnesium alloy which is ok for smooth tracks but would not last long on our pot holed roads?

17. GVK

The lower offset MOs are a squarer stlye to the regular curved spoke type you mostly see.

Daz, your's are low offset aren't they?

18. Peter Forum Member

I enquired about some split rims a while back via e-mail I can honestly say I've never had a more curt and rude response from a supplier [8(] If I was in the market for a track wheel I would give Speedline a look I've had some in the past and I could'nt fault them :thumbup:

Pete

19. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Compomotives are powder coated and not painted so heat should not affect them (powder coating involves lots of heat to cure it).

The only reason the finish would start to fall off was if the powder coat cure process was not done at high enough temperature, or at that temperature for long enough (most often the case) or if the bare metal surface was contaminated when the powder was apllied.

Mine seem ok though - well, apart from the thick layer of DS3000 pad that won't come off [:$]

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I have ET35 and ET27 MO's and both are flat spoke

Cheers

Rob