Why a MK2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DOGER1, Oct 4, 2009.

1. yamz89 Forum Member

no doubt you have a mk1 then.. :clap:

oh, why a mk2? because mk2's actually brake unlike mk1's :lol:

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

The best Golf imho... They are just an all round great car.

* Look Great, epecially when standard or track'd out...
    * They hardly rust. (Although some un-loved ones tend to have some)
    * Handle great, and even better with lowered suspension.
    * Cheap and easy to fix, with parts plentyfull.
    * Cheap to tune up and a cheap car to mod.

Ive owned 6 MK2s over 6 years, from 1.3's to GTi's, and each one has been great fun to drive, and to work on. Would recommend a MK2 to anyone...

I just have to have one in my life :thumbup: Cant see myself ever selling it either...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

HAD a MK1!
    As well as the braking issue which I gree with... Their pretty little bodywork rusts a little more easily. Much to my disgust when I had it MOT'd a few years back now.
    Was only a 1.1 though, but was still wicked, should have restored in hindsight??[:s]

4. yamz89 Forum Member

i would of, mk1's are great cars too, just in a different way, kinda?

5. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

mk1's are cool, but the mk2 pips it on most things(just), looks, handling, build etc, i love the mk1 to bits but when i see my mk2's i go all gooey, much the same when a porsche carrera gt pulled up along side me.

6. 16valve Forum Member

For me its the boxyness and the upright feeling when driving i've never been a fan of the 'sports' car feel i.e sitting in a deck chair feeling !!

I enjoy the feeling of driving a mk2 after its been a while and you get that feeling of being in the right car, its good to be back feeling lol

Dave

edit = how many times did I say feeling lol

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I have been and done the mk1 thing, loved every second of it, but the next car had to be something a little more modern - still retro and 80s inside and out, refined - so the mk2 was a logical choice, plus the engine bays are better suited to 1.8t engines with a little more room

8. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

My race car is a Mk2, and my daily driver is Mk2.. Proves it can be adapted to do anything you want!

Country to Rallye, 1.3 to G60's.... Something for everyone!

9. Daytripper76 Forum Member

Its a mk2 for me all the way and always has been as they me grin like a cheshire cat every time i see or drive one! [:D]

10. wazza New Member

love my mk2......get up in the morning..look out the front..hope no one has taken it...lol..puts a smile on my face,,,and beening from ddddublin i was born to drive them...dubs for life

11. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

For all I do want a MK1 I do love the Mk2. Originally I was going to sell it when the time was right to get a Mk1, now I know it's just never going to happen. Already planning it's next set of upgrades.

12. KentGTiKR Forum Member

Why mk2 ? Once i said i wont buy a golf, especially mk2 :lol: But as the proverb says "Never say never" - I bought that. Am.. and it's a mk2 valver [:D] Why? I found that in advertisment, went to check that, but didn't mind to buy. At first sight it looked very nice, had no rust. It was clean stock looking, on 6.5J BBS RM's, had all GTi stuff: 16V badges, red stripes, tinted windows, recaros etc. All that stuff made the car a little bit exclusive. ;)
    The time to make test drive has come. After few minutes tough pulling to the limits, it looked like it has very exceptional temper comparing to other cars. That oneness was the reason why i have mk2 today. :)
    It's quite sensitive, handles on the road very well, due to 900kg and 139 hp it has acceleration not so poor [:D] Furthermore it's a great pleasure to drive a car from era that passed many years ago, but your mk2 even today is still good looking and mint. Oldschool ftw :)
    In addition it has many others advantages.
    - i can do maintenance myself, starting from fluids change, ending with engine, drivetrain rebuilt.
    - parts needed for repair are very cheap
    - it has great potential to become as a fast performance car due to modifications.
    - has a great ratio of price/entertainment :)

13. menzfeld19 New Member

just look at them there stunning

14. PeterGolf Forum Member

Why a mk2 - cause it's the safest car I've ever driven.

Plus it's a cheap way to get a retro ride

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  15. richard s Forum Member

i had done the xr3i xr2 xr2i si astra sr then gte thing when a bit younger and was driving a bmw 323 coupe when wife was pregnant and baby seat wouldnt fit in bmw we ended up selling and getting a passat which left some cash spare and i wanted to do the 80s hatch thing again and was looking for a 205gti r5gtt or golf gti
    i found a golf first bought it and am glad i didnt find any of the others first

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

You must have driven some real sh*tters... ;) :lol:

17. PeterGolf Forum Member

Lol-safe in the sense that it's a really good chassis and it tells me what it's doing. I have driven cars with lightest steering and wishy washy handling, and cars that skip accross road. I deem them not so safe regardless of loads of airbags ha