Why would you want to live in London?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dubya, May 27, 2005.

1. Dubya Forum Junkie

London. The nations capital. Why the f**k would anyone want to live there?

It costs an absolute fortune, and takes forever to get anywhere.

I can't see the draw of it myself.

Anyone care to expand on this or enlighten me?

2. Claypole Forum Junkie

Weirdos who think they are above the rest of the country but then moan about the cost of everything and like living their lives in a big rat race to see who can get the most stuff before they die from pollution? ;) :lol: :thumbup:

3. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Ego magnet?
    Living in the capital is like saying look at me I'm at the head of the country.
    What that says about living in stoke I'm not quite sure. [:s]

4. Rallye Forum Junkie

some people like the pace of life and get bored of the 'country'. Lots of people jobs require them to be in london, no media industry outside of the very centre.

Problem is that when outsiders visit london they only really see the commercial side of it all. Where I live its all green trees and the like.

5. Guests Banned

because i can walk along the river and see this

[​IMG]

london is one of the most beautiful historic cities in the world. you get the best sights, the best shops, the best food, the best nighlife. (imo)

yes traffic is bad but its not if you go at the right time. no one that lives in london gets stuck in traffic because they know when is the best time to travel

i can drive from my house 12miles out to the very city center in 20mins....why....because i know every short cut and when every bus lane opens.

i hardly think im a weirdo or above the rest of the country....i was born here.....how many people on this board live where they where born....

when your sitting on the kings road drinking a beer.....fat cars, hot girls nice weather.....i wouldnt want to be anywhere else.

much rather that than live in the country side where you drink in the same pub every night and everyones sleeping with there sisters

tbh ;)

6. alextgreen Forum Member

:clap:

Well said, sir. I couldn't agree with you more.

7. Jsem Forum Member

London is a wicked place. I always have a fat time when i can get down there.

I dont understand why people not from london dont like it.

8. Guests Banned

im going there tomoro :)

anyone in westminister/touristy place look out for my landyrover being driven with gay abandon :thumbup: :lol:

9. Claypole Forum Junkie

All fine and dandy we can see the "sights" and drive about at two in morning. :lol:

Now lets see what your wages will buy you to live in/park your cars in? ;)

10. richgit Forum Junkie

London fecking rules, going to be driving through regents park into picadilly tonight to park on pall mall, windows down, tunes on, then going to a phat club for rags birthday [:D]

Agree with recardo, you gotta know the routes to take to avoid the queue's. Gonna take me about 35 mins from the outer north london suburb of winchmore hill to get right into the centre. Also living in the suburbs is great, expensive granted, but i have a huge park opposite my flat, a great garage and working area out back, and a pub 20 second walk down the road [:^:]
    Edited by: richgit

11. Guests Banned

ill be up that way tomorrow mate.....covent garden.

ill have my eyes peeled :)

12. richgit Forum Junkie

plus sh*t loads of kebab shops open all hours :lol:

13. Dubya Forum Junkie

20 minutes to drive 12 miles, knowing all the tricks and at the best possible time?

I live bang on 20 miles from where I work, and when late I can do it in just over 17 minutes. In normal traffic it takes about 25.

And what do you do when you have to travel during the rush hour?

I watched one of these property programs the other week that got me thinking as well. This guy bought a flat and did it up to rent out. He was after 140 a week for a room you could barely fit a bed in, and a 1 fifth share on a kitchen and living room. I pay 210 a month for half share on a whole house! How can people do it?

To clear up another misconception, there are actually other cities outside london. It isn't all countryside! :lol: I wouldn't say the pace of life is any slower in these other cities.

14. Guests Banned

london reminds me of a big big big moseley [:s] with a posh bit in the centre

dunno why [:s] :lol:

15. Rallye Forum Junkie

it takes me 30mins to drive 9 miles to work, and yes im sure I could 4 times that distance outside of london. But as everything is more spaced out elsewhere its neither here nor there.

People ouside of london think of London as anything inside the M25. Locals think ot as areas, i only call the very center 'london'

16. Jsem Forum Member

Gunchester, Shottingham, Burma(birmingerham), to name a few. Yaar they do....

17. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

Can't see the appeal of living in London, where I live it's 20 mins on the motorway to Leeds, 30 mins to Manchester, rent for a two bed house is 350 (with off road parking), fast open roads over the Pennines for going for a blast (Recardo R1).

Not that I have anything against London, just seems like we get the best of both world up here, quiet when you want with great nightlife within easy reach.

:)

18. mark25 Forum Junkie

the housing pricing in central and the suburbs seems quite reasonable to me (and estate agents obviously). if you have to asy why, or think it's unreasonable, then it's probably not for you............

Reacardo can see some value in it and i'm not gonna argue with his posts.........

19. hayesey Forum Junkie

I was down there for a couple of days 2 weeks ago on a training course.

Was fine for a couple of days but I'd hate to live there. everyone on the underground in rush hours looked like they wanted to kill themselves! I've never seen so many miserable looking people in one packed train carriage before!

I'd never want to swap my blast over country roads every morning to work for that!

It's definately good for going out at night though, only went to a couple of pubs for a short while this time.

The bitter tastes like piss though [xx(]

20. hayesey Forum Junkie

& so does the tap water [xx(] [xx(]