whys it so hard?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by gtiracermike, Oct 17, 2006.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Off topic but I'd give your car a quick DIY check/setup if I were you, 23mpg is very poor indeed. Is that from the MFA or worked out from how much petrol you put in to how many miles you drive?

Sounds to me like your ignition timing may be a little out, does the car run hot and/or pink in warm weather?

There is an FAQ on here about setting up 16v's, it's pretty straightforward :)

2. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Its off the mfa, and is 90% town driving. When I got the car the mpg was 25.8, but the battery had started to carrode so I had I changed it. Since doing this (and resetting the mfa) I have struggled to get anywhere near 25mpg[:$] 21-23 is pretty average for me. Was also the case in my last valver.

Mods are drilled airbox with cold air pipe, 4 branch manifold, stainless exhaust sytem. Car is also K-Star mapped for 95 ron fuel. I had been throwing in the bog standard stuff at Shell but since i serviced it have thrown in 2 full tanks of optimax (v power now) to clean everything through a bit.

The odd thing is that the car goes like an absolute animal. No pinking at all. Will happily pull all the way to 7000rpm in every gear. I've had people who own golfs/have owned golf in the passenger seat v.impressed with it.

I can't put my finger on why it would return such shoddy mpg figures. Maybe I should actually work out what it does the old fashioned way?

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Sorry to keep hijacking this thread....

Just did a search but didnt really find what i was looking for

4. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

i might start doing that myself, a bottle of t-cut and a small flat head screwdriver...

sounds dodgy as to me....

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

oh and furthermore i'll have a nice red valver for sale soon... :thumbup:

6. gtiracermike Forum Member

looking for black oak green or blue really

7. The db

The db Forum Junkie

8. gtiracermike Forum Member

its very nice but as you say its an 8v and its also an import to so insurance would probly be more looking in the right direction :thumbup:

9. gtiracermike Forum Member

found this on ebay what do you guys think its had a lot done to the engine just need a bit of body tlc iv spoke to the guy he sounds genuine and it not to bad a price might even get cheaper as i said ill look atit on saturday and would he be open to do a deal then to close the auction early he said yer but he cant go much lower than 850.00 what do you think

Item number: 170039552678

10. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Said buy it now is 850. The paint on the door will def need sorting out, but at 850 its not bad at all mate. Its now a question of jumping in and getting that paint work fixed up, or holding back and waiting for something in a little better condition.

The inevitable hard call

11. gtiracermike Forum Member

how much do you think it would be to sort that out

12. The db

The db Forum Junkie

You'd need to actually see it as oppose to see it in pictures. The door looks like it will probably need a complete spray.

Maybe print some pictures off and go see somebody that knows about paint/bodywork for some estimates.

If its not the sort of thing you are able to tackle yourself it might be worth looking for a better example.

13. gtiracermike Forum Member

i do know a coule of guys that have done paint work on there cars but winters coming and its not the best thing to do out side, im trying to persuade my other to spending a bit more theres a mint oak green one in cars for sale that i like but it 2k and i defo cant spen that much at the mo limit really 1k but i might b ablr to persuade her another thew hundred

14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

with the one in cars for sale you could always barter.

just looking at the pics it needs new BBS centre caps which aren't cheap for what they are. also it hasn't got ther original golfball gearknob.

so you could always be cheeky and start really ;low. plus he's only joined the forum by the looks of it to sell his car[:x] (and oak green isn't as rare as everyone who owns one thinks)

good luck with the search.

15. paulyb Forum Member

LOL it always go's back to the subject of RARE oak green:lol:

16. beetie

beetie Forum Member

yeah, anything to think their cars worth mor than the rest.

well in that case no one has the same registration number as me (rare), so my car must be worth billlions[8-}]

17. gtiracermike Forum Member

how does sound think i might go for a black one

146000 miles, met.black, FSH, RCL, alarm, insurance approved immobiliser, PAS, original 15 BBS alloys, CD player, roofrack and more, 10 MoT, 4 tax

iv already called b4 you guys say "roofrack" its not fitted its somtin hes giving with the car im waiting 4 him to email back to see weather the cam belts been done recent.
    does anyone knoe how much it would be to get done if i need to do it?