Wierd Noise

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by twhuk1978, Oct 16, 2010.

1. twhuk1978 New Member

It happens after I start it up and when warming up. For a few seconds it will make a humming noise. At first I thought it was the bass on the stereo.

It happens really intermittently and only for a second or so. Any ideas? A belt slipping?

It happens when I start it up and then once driving at a certain point when I put my clutch in and out like it is rubbing but also happens when idle.

2. rankadoodle Forum Member

Have the belt tensioner checked.

Be any more specific or just a humm? Deep pitch or high squeak? Well bass = low so. Put your hands on everything in the bay and give it a shake, see if anything is loose.

Do the rpm's fall and the lights din when this happens? if so could be electrical related. check ignition switch too, just for giggles.

Good luck :thumbup:

3. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

How many miles has it done?

Could be the Clutch release bearing.

PAB

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

What engine / model ? petrol/ diesel?

5. Spuddgunn New Member

If it stops when the clutch is in and noisey when its out I'd say it was the release bearing, I've got the same issue on my blue oval steaming heap.

Could even be something silly like something in the glovebox/stroage bins etc [:s]

6. twhuk1978 New Member

More on the noise. I have had the bonnet up and the noise seems to be happening when the engine moves i.e. touch the throttle. Does this sound like an engine mount/rubber catching issue? Pretty sure it is nothing to worry about, just a bit annoying some times

Booking it in for a minor service next week. will see what they say

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

could be any thing from plastic fuel pipe to the brake lines on the bulk head as a minor vibe on light load, to something more serious!

8. twhuk1978 New Member

It is when ever i press the accelerator. like something is rubbing. If I just let the clutch out it is fine but as soon as I press the accelerator I get the noise. Something is rubbing?

2ltr SDI

9. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

so the noise is regardless of clutch presses or not, light rubbing noise around 1200-1300 RPM it could be either of the above I've described

get someone to keep revs up, and move your hand around until they csn't hear it - fuel lines and around the ABS unit

you'd be suprised how much noise can be transmitted in to the car by something so small

10. twhuk1978 New Member

It is regardless of how high the revs are to be honest. As soon as I touch the pedal it does it for a second. Only deviation is turning it on from cold after a second it does it. I figured that is the auto choke giving more fuel until it warms up.

Thanks for taking the time to respond by the way. Appreciated!

11. twhuk1978 New Member

Noise sorted. It was a hole in the pipe that runs from the air filter to the engine.

12. twhuk1978 New Member

Went to pick it up, noise still there and engine management light on now. *******s. It is staying with them until fixed. Warranty covered!