Wierd sound coming from engine bay on my VR6 HELP its drivin me mad please

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by VR6pack, Jan 20, 2008.

1. VR6pack Forum Member

Hello everybody i've a little problem with my vr6 golf its a 96 on a p and its developed a little whine when its returning to idle
    at first it was just when cold and very quite now its more or less all the time as soon as i take my foot off the gas be it coming up to junctions changing gear or even just reving it when stationary its doing it all the time and quite loud[:^(]
    only way to describe it is its as if its moaning i dunno if any one remembers those dinosaurs you could get where you sqeeze them and when they puffed themselves back up they used to let out a groan[xx(]
    any help would be much appreciated as its now getting right up my nose[:x]
    cheers:)

2. oak8vgti Forum Member

have a look under the bonnet and try to describe which side its coming from?

3. VR6pack Forum Member

trouble is buddy when i open the bonnet i cant hear it but when the bonnets shut i can and its def driverside up near the scuttle pannel

4. oak8vgti Forum Member

you need to try and pin point it as to where abouts it is in the car

inside/outside, underdash etc

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

could it be the cam cover breather? they have a habit of snapping, woudl normally be more a hissing noise though i think

6. VR6pack Forum Member

well thats the thing at first it could only be heard inside, well thats the only time it'd make a noise and also at first it was intermitent, then it got more and more often to the point now its everytime and its highly audioble outside the vehicle but as soon as i lift up the bonnet the engine noise drowns it out

7. VR6pack Forum Member

i dont know i'l have to check to see if there's any damaged parts only trouble is i leave for work in the dark and get home from work in the dark and it dont matter how bright yer tourch is it never seems bright enough to find sumink you dont know what your lookin for if ya catch my drift

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

stop in a petrol station to look?

9. VR6pack Forum Member

just checked with my torch and there's no broken pipes that i can see, i think the noise is there on first start up then as the cold start cuts out it seems to die out and for the first couple of revs (on the drive that is) it doesn't want to do it, how ever when i go out in the mornings it'l do the same but when im out drivin it (were talkin 40 min drive for me) it comes back especially on low gear changes or slow gear changes when the car has time to get down to 1000 revs