Will having a DIY push button start cause any probs passing MOT

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Sully114, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Sully114 Forum Member

AS title suggests will a DIY push button start give me any probs mot'ing my car? I have recently converted my VR6 from auto to manual and all is good except that the only way I can now start the car is to essentially hotwire it (two wires connected to park neutral relay, when touched together closes relay and car starts). This is becuase the ecu/tcm still thinks the 01M is attatched and thinks its in D, the park neutral relay left over from the auto will not let the car start unless its in either P or N so relay stays open. Would a push start button connected to these two wires pass mot? or would they grumble about it? I cannot see it causing any problems but just want to check before I book it in this week.

2. Supercharged Forum Member

No should be fine, just let them know before hand.

I think I would actually keep that for extra security but hide it under the dash somewhere.

3. Collie Forum Junkie

Starting method is not covered in mot. My mates old van had a home brew one like yours as the ignition barrel/ electrics were goosed. HE HAD A DOOR BELL ON THE DASH. lAUGHED EVERY TIME I GOT IN

4. alexisblades99 Forum Member

did it play a tune when he pressed it?

could be the next scene mod this, i might have to get one fitted while it's still fresh.

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I had a mini that was like that, to sstart with the wires were just connected together ane left, but I then had it on a switch under the dash, never had any issues come MOT time, as all i did was leve it on, and thenjust tell them too incase they knocked it.