Will MK4 window rubber fit a MK3?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by MikeG, Jan 13, 2012.

1. MikeG New Member

I have water pooring through the window on my MK3 and its the passenger front door window seal thats gone.
    I brought a used one from a breakers today and its the same story with that one knackered!

Will a MK4 door window seal fit? ....... I have a better chance of finding a decent used one from a MK4 than a MK3 obviously.

VW want 110 + vat the cheeky bliters for a new one so naturally thats out of the question.

2. MikeG New Member

Fixed the problem now. The old seal was bugered but sourced a slightly better one from a breakers ( that still leaked hence I posted this for a MK4 seal ) then thought why dont I just bend the door in a bit where the seal sits and this will make the seal tighter when the window is put up, this worked a treat, and it doesnt leak at all now, windows fine as well.

Also thought I would mention as I have noticed another post about this same issue. When I brought the car after market speakers had been fitted and the membrane behind the door card was torn, thus leaking water into the rear footwell, I suggest anyone that has brought a MK3 to check this as it will rot your floor out if not sorted!

SO PLEASE CHECK DOOR MEMBRANES TO ALL MK3 OWNERS! SAVE YOUR GOLF FROM THE DREADED ROTTEN FLOOR!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  3. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

glad you got sorted, also im a big believer when it comes to door membranes i learnt the hard way [8(]