will these 10cm ones fit my mk2?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by David Number 2, Sep 13, 2006.

1. David Number 2 Forum Member

ok, ive started to sort out my ice, bought these from halfords....

http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Speakers/Sony_Car_Speakers/Sony_XS-A1027

will they fit though? Theres only 2 screws on the old ones, and they look a little smaller, although havent measured them yet!

Im also getting 13cm speakers in the doors, the same ones as above but just bigger. Then maybe a sony headunit to take Ipod..... all sound good?

thanks!

Dave

2. TurbTech Forum Junkie

The speakers ain't too bad really but they wont fit in the dash. You'll need 8cm speakers for that. Halfords only do JBL 8cm speakers.

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

they're 54.97

there's always a fffffffifty-fffffour.....

4. David Number 2 Forum Member

**** they wont fit?! arghhh.

well that sucks :( are JBL ones the only option for the dash and parcel supports?

5. Mark16v Forum Member

Think the best option would be a set of components up front with the tweeters mounted in the dash and the mids in the doors. Don't see the point of having 2 sets of speakers up front as the tweeters in the doors will drag the sound stage down and will sound too messy.
    These ones will do the job nicely for the same price as what you've spent or you can get an even better sounding set for 100 odd.

6. David Number 2 Forum Member

so is JBL a pretty good make, cus its turning out that all my stuff will be JBL!

What are 'component speakers'??

in this picture below...

[​IMG]

what are the little things? And are the silver ones the tweeters?

7. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

component speakers means that they are split into their components - ie. seperate woofer, and tweeter.

silver ones are the crossovers btw - splits the signal, high frequencies to tweeter (small ones) and lower frequencies to the woofers (bigger cones)

jbl are ok - they're amps are good value, but am not the biggest fan of JBL speakers

8. Mark16v Forum Member

I'd recommend spending more than 50 on front speakers tbh as these are the main ones you'll be listening to. As stated before, 100 will buy a good set os speakers which you will be very happy with.
    I've personally never heard JBL speakers before, always thought they were a bit of a cheap make so have generally avoided them. Having a budget of around 100 will buy you various makes so it's probably best to ask peoples opinions of some that take your fancy. DLS, Rainbow, Alpine & Boston Accoustics all make very good speakers so you won't go wrong if you choose any of these.

9. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

2nd hand focals, DLS or rainbows :)

hate alpine speakers [xx(]

10. David Number 2 Forum Member

im looking at the price of rainbows, sod that :S way to costly! im on a budget budget. Im not to picky about my sound.

I just picked up my door grills with speakers still attached from the scrappies, 3.50 lol. so not complaining.

Im probably going to go with the JBLs above. Are the small black ones the tweeters?

WIth some packs, i see these tiny speakers which are like, 4cm maybe, what are they? They normally sit ontop of dashes, well what ive seen of them anyway..

11. Mark16v Forum Member

The small round circles are the tweeters, people usually mount these on the mirror backing plates or similar but since you've got the mk2 with dash mount speakers you can fix them in here nicely and have them hidden using the stock grill. Might need to bodge up a metal bracket or they may even come with some different mounting methods that you can use.

Off topic, why do you dislike alpine speakers Darryn? I'm happy with mine, find them slightly harsh at higher volumes but hoping that adjusting the tweeter levels will reduce this. Definatly the best set of speakers I've owned so far, altho they are my first pair of components (heard many others and can say I'm happy with how my alpines sound)

12. David Number 2 Forum Member

where would the crossovers go?

13. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

hide them. behind dash or something

14. ChrisUK Forum Member

nowt wrong with alpines like, i personally think mine sound the dogs nuts :)

15. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i hate alpine speakers [:v:]

16. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

ah i've already expressed that earlier in this thread. sorry [:$]

17. David Number 2 Forum Member

right guys, after getting my loan and paid, im gona spend abit more up front. Budget is 110.

Point in the direction online and i'll buy it today! Ill have a look myself aswell...

cheers

Dave

18. Mark16v Forum Member

You've got a choice really. Either these Rainbows

OR

Boston Acoustics

All down to preference, I've never listened to either but my experience of Bostons says they'll be very very good.

19. David Number 2 Forum Member

i want some bass, but ones that can handle abit of rock aswell.

Those rainbows look really tempted, I wanna press the buy button because im an impatient ****, want to hear afew more views though...im excited :)

20. Mark16v Forum Member

At this budget they'll both sound ok but there's no way that a 13cm speaker is going to sound bassy. You'll need a sub for that tbh. I personally would go with the Boston's but then like I say I've never heard Rainbows before so probably not the best person to ask.