Winding back Piston on Mk4 rear calipers

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by DuBDuDe, May 15, 2006.

1. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Do you need the special tool or can it be done other ways?

In the four years ive had my mk4's on the rear ive only just got round to replacing the pads. But cant seem to wind the piston back in.

Am i doing something wrong? Do you need to apply pressure whilst you wind or do you just wind clockwise with no pressure?

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I use long nose pliers with a fair bit of pressure, works fine for me

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

turn and push.....the proper tool is 10-12 makes it easy

4. DuBDuDe Forum Member

mmmm i was using a big set of slip joint pliers to wind it backin with no pressure and nothing was happening. maybe i need some pressure. i thought that was the idea of the wind back mechanism that it was easy.

F**king Volkswagens eh! [:D]

5. PaulM Forum Member

seriously, buy the tool! Makes it so easy and you don;t have to worry about slipping and taking half your knuckles off!

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

sometimes it helps if you loosen the nipple :lol: while pushing and turning[:|]

7. DuBDuDe Forum Member

ah good thats what i wanted to hear! i like loosening up a nice nipple or two when im on the job ;)

might buy the tool tho cant be arsed with all the ****in around. even if i only use it once every 3 years or something.

8. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

i bought one of these from halfords, works like a dream!
    [​IMG]

9. Seraph Banned

i agree with axlfoley.
    Get a wind back tool if you're not confident doing it without.
    It can be done with nothing more than pump pliers and a tyre lever.

10. DuBDuDe Forum Member

tbh i hardly ever buy special tools unless absolutely ncessary but i already tore the dust cover a little bit trying earlier with slip joint pliers so i think i may concede on this one. Or i may have another go tomo and then concede if i dont succeed.