Winter and Temp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Golf_BlokeMK2, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

Hi all, just before i go out and buy a new thermostat and change all my coolant just wanted to know if im right here.

1. My blower doesnt blow warm

2. The temp reading on the temp gauge goes three quarters of the way up after only 5 minutes of driving down the dual carriageway.

Is it my thermo or I read something about h/m bypass valves, but surely this would only affect my blower?

Help please before i get down and dirty with the thermo.

Cheers Guys

2. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

Awww please someone help?

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Take the old thermostat out and boil it in a pan of water with a thermometer in to check it. You will see it open at the correct temp (95c or whatever it says in the Haynes manual) and then close afterwards. If it doesn't then it's knackered. They are about a fiver so worth replacing if at all suspect.

The temp gauge shouldn't really go that far so it would suggest the fan isn't coming on or the 'stat is knackered. Does the hot water ever actually circulate the radiator or does it just stay in the block? this would indicate a stuck thermostat.

I would also check the matrix bypass valves if fitted as that could be the problem with your heater, unless it might just be an airlock? Give the system a good flushing and try it.

Have a search on here for 'bypass valve' and 'thermostat' - been discussed loads of times!

Good luck. :)
    Edited by: StuB

4. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

Cheers fella, im gonna check the bypass valves now.

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

No worries - good luck. :)

6. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

Hmm....just been p****** around with it and i forgot to say that the adjuster on my power steering belt is broken and thus it slips a lot and makes a right racket, just wondering....does this also control a pump and could this be my problem?

7. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

8. Madbloke Forum Member

Have you checked the water level inthe header tank?

I used to have a prob where it would blow hot air when moving and cold when stopped (even though it was still on hot setting) and it got hot really quickly - it was due to not having enough water in it

9. Golf_BlokeMK2 Forum Member

Yea theres enough in the header tank cheers though...Im getting new valves tommorow so hopefully this will work.

10. The Pig Forum Member

The P/S belt also drives the water pump so this won't be helping your problems.

Change the stat regardless although this is a pain with P/S as you need to drop the pump. You're about to change the adjuster (as you said its knacked) so did it then.