Winter tyres now 'compulsory' in Germany

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by A.N. Other, Dec 6, 2009.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Chatting to a mate in Munich earlier, apparently if you have an accident in the Winter / or conditions akin to, the blame is automatically attributed if a driver still has summer tyres on. So that near enough makes them compulsory? [:s]

A rule brought in 2-3 years ago he said. The upshot was he's shelled out EUR 700 to grab a wheel/tyre set off eBay for a fairly new estate car which he bought without a winter set.

I wonder if the UK will ever move more towards at least encouraging use of winter tyres? I know my fronts are far too hard a compound atm.

2. madmonkey Forum Addict

Noticed a load of nice looking cars on the road on steels last weekend in Wurzburg.

Except for a few Cayennes on bling bling alloys.

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

if the scrapage scheme is anything to go by, the uk will follow like sheeps. (and probably stick the tax up on tyre's while they are there as some big wigs at RBS need a bigger bonus for 2010)

Germany has harsher winters than us doesn't it?

4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I'm running winter tyres on my daily Bora - on some ebay beetle 16" steelies - changed em over about 3-4 weeks ago - they are fantastic in the crappy leaves / mud / slime that coats b-roads this time of year, and as soon as its gets cold, nothing will outbrake you.

Well worth the cash IMO.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, snow in Oct and usually very dicey by now, though since it's been ok.

6. alexisblades99 Forum Member

definitely safer when it's cold, and if you're only using them for half the year, they'll last twice as long.
    unexpected black ice is the real killer though, nothing short of studded tyres will protect you against that.

7. coullstar Forum Member

Same here. Used them in Norway last year and they are so much better. Not just for snow but there far better in cold and damp conditions.

8. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Makes good sense really.

9. PNG

png Forum Member

Thing is, we only get a bad winter (like last year) once in a decade. Although they no doubt improve safety in the colder weather, it's a lot less clear cut here than in central europe where it's much colder and snows every year. I'd feel a lot happier in winter if I had some tho.

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

explains why a customer of ours came in to swap full set of winter tyres / rims to his S reg LHD passat for winter trip to germany!

11. coullstar Forum Member

But they work perfectly well in normal winter conditions as well by that I mean cold and wet not just snow. Fair enough in the south of England they may not be totally required however up here I personally think they should be mandatory as well.

12. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

I always run winter tyres on the front as soon as they start putting salt down. It makes "skando flicks" more fun in the snow with summer tyres on the back.
    MK4 in winter mode.
    [​IMG]

13. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

ha! just cheeky the handbrake and there no need! lol:thumbup: :lol: :lol:

14. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Thats cheating..[:$]

15. NBirkitt Forum Member

Winter tyres?

Several mentions of 'Winter tyres' on here but no reference to actual types and brand names any more info / recommendations ? ta

16. coullstar Forum Member

Well I had some Toyo's on the previous car (funnily enough VR6T's old car) but didnt get to try them out. Just picked up a set of these to try. http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/car/ice-touring-st

Its the little slits that seem to help most with the snow.
    [​IMG]

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

A good mate of mine lives in Oslo - they have to change over on a specific date I think. Our weather doesn't really justify it, but they do give a lot more grip in snow, ice or wet mud.

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Dunlop Wintersport 3D - std size for bora 205/55/16

Fantastic - voted top performance winter tyre in US last year

[​IMG]

19. giles_anniversary

giles_anniversary Forum Member

one of my work colleague started fitting winter tyre's to his car a few years ago because of where he lives (in the middle of no-wear on top of the moors). when i got stuck in a car park last year with a mild slope out of it he came to tow me out. it was funny to see him towing me out in a seat altea and not struggling whilst a merc ml was just spinning about lol.

I think im going to replace my t1r's on my winter wheels to winter tyre's when i wear them out.

20. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

I use toyo snow prox the most, these seem to last a good 3 seasons..

Just fitted 4 Michelin's to the wifes BMW, picked them up second hand with 7 mm tread on for 100. Looking forward to getting to play with the BMW in the snow.