Wiper Arms

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Idlewillkill, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Idlewillkill Forum Member

Hey guys, is there any difference between early and late wiper arms? My early spec arms are just sounding and moving a little naff these days, wondered if there was an easy upgrade such as fitting later ones.

Cheers for any help in advance :thumbup:

2. nealey Forum Junkie

I think the spline sizes are different between early ones and late

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Other than spline sizes they are indentical, so not much of an `upgrade` anyway.

You could try aero blades though. Proper Bosch ones that use the older style fitting are around 20 from GSF (I can`t remember if that`s each or for a pair though...)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

champion wipers are good gear, either that or go to vw and order just the blade rubbers and swap over

5. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

I might try champion blades then as Bosch ones seem to get noisy after only a few months. Is there any kind of polish/film that can be applied to the screen to help with wiper noise?

Cheers

Dan

6. rubjonny

yep bosch blades are crap, put some o them on and within a month i put the old champions back on! the bosch blades then had then rubbers ripped off and VAG ones fitted in their place :thumbup:

get the right blades and you dont need to mess with the screen, the champion ones in our seat and vag ones in my mk2 are all silent and have been for years ;)

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Really? I`ve never had an issue with them. Used them for years, and they`ve always remained silent.

A wipe over of the blade every so often with a screen-wipe keeps them nice and fresh.

Got the aero-style on the Mk3. Simply brilliant compared to the standard type.

8. rubjonny

mine were, like i say all streaky and crap within a month of fitting. wernt the cheap ones either i went for the spoiler ones! put the 5 month old champion back on and all sorted. ever since then ive bought champion or quantum from vw

9. Idlewillkill Forum Member

Gotta agree, the Bosch blades I used a few years ago were a little pants IMHO

Have the aero blades fitted to my Scirocco and Golf, they are great on the Scirocco but not really improved owt on the Golf. Hardly the end of the world either way, just curious if there was a bolt on upgrade :)

10. Idlewillkill Forum Member

Would just go for aero blades to be honest mate, although plenty of companies make glass polish, Auto Glym one is OK, but to be honest I always apply a coating of rain repellent to the glass instead. :)

11. Idlewillkill Forum Member

Well the drivers one isn't long for this world, Got stuck at the side of the screen this morning, then tried to wipe the wing mirror :lol:

I'm guessing the change over in spline sizes was with the big bumpers? Off to the breakers tomorrow.

12. rubjonny

yep 90spec, so look for hazard switch. on dash = pre-90, on column = 90spec

if you're desperate you could take all the wiper linkage from the scuttle and swap it over

13. Idlewillkill Forum Member

Sound, cheers mate, off we go to the scrappies!

14. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

I doubt it makes a difference but you might want to just check the parts arent different for the LHD wipers compared to the RHD (you say you car is an early one - these came with LHD wipers).

Cheers

Dan

15. rubjonny

ah good point, everything is different on those! if you dont have the spare wiper hole on the passenger side of the car, you need REALLY early wiper arms, or pre-90 LHD