Wiper issues.....

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Hamblefields, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

I seem to be having a little bit of trouble with the wipers on my MK2, both speed settings work however when I put the wipers on to intermittent all they do is continue to go without stopping and they no longer self park in any mode.

I have tried changing the relay and this has made no difference at all, am I going to be looking at a new wiper motor to sort this one out???

The car goes in for its MOT tomorrow and I know it won't fail on the lack of self parking but will it fail as all the intermittent switch does is make them go continuously??

any help would be great fully appreciated.

Glenn

2. ashleyGTI New Member

sounds like worn wiper motor buddy and no they wont fail it..

3. Admin Guest

I had this problem and it was a faulty mfa/wiper stalk. Early stalks are very prone to this.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just to double check which relay was it you tried?

5. By self park, do you mean when you turn the engine off, they finish the rotation they're doing and go back to the bottom? Mine hav never done that, always just stop wherever they are when the engine is shut off.

6. I tried both a 19 and a 99 relay both had no effect.......

with the self park issue they just stop where they are when you turn the wipers off instead of heading back to the base of the windscreen.

Sadly it doesn't really matter anymore as she failed the MOT in rather a bad way so it looks like I'm going to be breaking her as it seems the tin worm has set in in rather a big way[:^(]

7. Admin Guest

Get somebody to weld it up and save another mk2.

As said before I've had exactly the same issue with wipers and it was the stalk causing the problem.

8. Matt48 Forum Member

I've got through a couple of stalks in 11 yrs.

9. rubjonny

yeah does sound like a wiper motor issue to me, my rear wiper did the same except it would park if it felt like it, or just carry on going for a bit then stop

10. Andy P Forum Member

I have a issue with my wiper stalk. Basically nothing works on the washer setting. When you pull it towards you nothing happens. No washer or wipers.

If you flick it towards to quickly it sometimes works.

I'm guessing a breakdown on the switch?

Common fault?

11. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Sounds like it Andy, my main beam stalk is playing up AGAIN, second brand new genuine one in about four years so I'd imagine the wiper stalk is just as temperamental

12. Andy P Forum Member

Dan, did you get new or replacement wiper stalk? I've got mine in bits at the minute.

Are all stalks generic? There are a couple of mk2's down Drews at St Day at the minute!

13. dj_adam New Member

Im with rubjonny on this one. I'm sure the motor is responsible for recognising when the wipers are back in their 'home' position. The stalk is simply a on/off switch which must be working if the wipers move.

14. Admin Guest

So how do you explain me having the issue of my wipers working continuously on intermittent and just stopping when they were switched off and not returning this had been going on for a weeks. That same day I replaced my stalk and hey presto it was all fixed........?

It wasn't the motor for sure.

15. dj_adam New Member

I can understand the stalk being responsible for continuous wiping when switched to intermittent but the returning issue is beyond me. Ah well, we live and learn. Did you get a new stalk or 2nd hand?

16. rubjonny

all I can think of is the contacts on the inside had gone, sending 12v to the slow speed contact on the motor rather than 12v to the relay. or maybe there was a loose contact somewhere which got moved while you were messign about under there. or magic :lol:

all the stalk does is send voltage down the intermittent pin to the wiper relay, which then switches on and off to trigger the motor. this is why a mk3 variable intermittent relay still works in a mk2, which it wouldn't if the stalk had a tiny control module inside for intermittent mode.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012