wiring a boot popper

Discussion in 'Security' started by Danners, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Danners Forum Member

Hi,

I'm installing a 2 wire solenoid into my boot, so I can pop it from a button on the dash. What is the best route to take to get the switched live to the solenoid, I think the best way is under the carpet to the boot, up behind one of the side panels to the roof, but I can't seem to get it into the boot.

Also, should the switched live be run through a relay? I was just thinking of splitting the ciggie lighter as that's a permanent live.

Cheers.

2. whitemk2 Forum Member

i'm in the middle of doing this to my car. i've run all the wiring but just gotta get me a solenoid now. the easiest way to run the cable to the boot is through the rubber pipe with the heated rear window wires and down the side of the boot lid. a coat hanger came in quite usefull for this.

as long as the live to the switch is fused you wont need a relay. there are a few spare places on the fuse box to take a live from :)

3. Danners Forum Member

I've done it now, a wire coat hanger is very useful for pulling wires through the tailgate :)

Works a treat!