Wiring digifizz into 87 gti

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by milesmk2, Mar 24, 2012.

1. milesmk2 Forum Member

Morning everyone.

So basicaly I may be able to get my hands on a digifizz setup and I was wondering how you make it work in a mk2 8v gti. Its got a CE1 loom with it, but which sensors are needed to make which bit work?

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

3. SimonG Forum Member

Routing the wires for the speedo sensor and wire for the tachometer signal could be difficult. Everything else should be relatively easy if you have the loom, all the sensors are there except for the speedo sender.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

revo isnt hard take the red/black wire off coil and extend it to the tci pin 7, done. speedo sensor would be harder though maybe run it up thru a spare grommet on passenger side. need a mk3 golf 1.8-2.0 speedo sensor cut the plug off with good length. needs ign live and earth which can get from the engine bay (coil live is where factory mk3 gets power)

5. milesmk2 Forum Member

How would you wire in ignition live? Obviously if it were off the fusebox or battery it would be constantly on.

6. rubjonny

like i say, coil live wire is where mk3 golf gets ign live. at fusebox there are lots of ign lives. you could even tap into the reverse light ign live wire wire. though it might have volt drop when reversing but i doubt that would actually matter ;)

7. milesmk2 Forum Member

I thought all the live points on the back of the fusebox were all constant lives. I'll do that then.

8. rubjonny

the spades on the side where the chunky red wires are permanent live, other side are accessory feeds. not all are ign live some are lights on, wipers etc so check 1st

9. milesmk2 Forum Member

Right ok I'll try and see what dosnt happen then.

10. SimonG Forum Member

Surely if you have the loom the live feed will be on it already. The feed should come from pin 6/15 of the switch unit for low coolant level indicator black/yellow trace wire. Look on the big white plug and pin D7 that will also be black/yellow and that feeds 6/15 :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  11. rubjonny

the coolant level relay is on the engine loom, id imagine the digifiz loom is just the dash loom so it depends how much loom comes with it i guess, can always tap into his existing coolant level relay wire.

12. milesmk2 Forum Member

Yeah it comes with the loom for the digifizz which i guess is just the dash loom. Should be here today so i'll check over it all when it arrives.

13. milesmk2 Forum Member

Just out of wonder would the digifizz work if i left the original dash loom in?

Reason i ask is because i have an immobiliser thats wired into the ignition wiring and i dont really wanna mess around with it incase i do it wrong and the car dosnt start once its all back together.

14. rubjonny

if you can figure out how to splice the digifiz plugs onto your old loom yep

15. milesmk2 Forum Member

I see. Would it just be a case of splicing in the clock plugs or would I have to fiddle with other wiring aswell?

16. rubjonny

well you got the time adjustment thingy but that shouldnt be a problem, add your speedo sender wire, that kind of thing. the amount of splicing required though you might find its actually easier to splice the immobiliser back into your digifiz dash loom the same way as it is on the old one ;)

17. milesmk2 Forum Member

The digifizz is on ebay now, if it dosnt sell then I'll keep it.

Out of wonder, which golf are the digiffizz clocks from?

18. rubjonny

was an option on them all! expensive mind thats why you dont see many

19. milesmk2 Forum Member

Never mind, just sold it :lol:

20. rubjonny

best place for it in my view, some other chumps car. ugly as hell and worth more than most mk2s are these days :lol: