Wiring identification/ help on abf conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by white_gti 8v, May 2, 2013.

1. white_gti 8v Forum Member

So far I've removed both mk2 8v wiring loom and mk3 abf wiring loom cut out the lights of the mk3 loom but still seem to have some wires which I don't know if I need or not

Here goes

These wires are loose from ecu plug
    1- Grey/white wire with brown plug on it
    2- yellow/white
    3- green/yellow
    4- green/ thin blue line
    5- blue/ white

[​IMG]

These wires are loose from big round multi plug and a sensor

Multi plug- brown / red

Sensor-brown blue

[​IMG]

Plug for sensor which mounts to ecu

Green/ blue

[​IMG]

Also from the header tank wire has no home it's a green and grey wire

All these are from the abf loom

I've also got some other wires that have been spliced into other wires but I'll sort these ones first lol

Any help would great guys

2. white_gti 8v Forum Member

Sorry guys not the header tank it's the water temp sensor which has thick grey line and thin grey line

The thin grey line goes into the loom but the thick grey line is cut

3. white_gti 8v Forum Member

Anyone .

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1 - diagnostics, keep
    2 - inlet air temp sensor, keep
    3 - carbon canister, bin
    4 - green/blue - probably fuel pump trigger? did you cut all the fusebox plugs off?
    5 - speed signal to ecu, run it behind the fusebox but leave it discvonnected. i dont think its needed but it might be so i always leave it just in case!

6 - brown/red - header tank level sensor, bin
    7 - brown/blue - inlet air temp sensor

9 - green/blue - aircon, bin this and everything that went to the fan control box along with that green/blue and green/grey one. the sensor in the side flange can also go, but you'll need a non-aircon mk3 side flange to delete it./ if you cba with that just leave it unconnected.

5. white_gti 8v Forum Member

Hi jonny no I didn't cut any of the multi plugs or wires to them only the lights loom I left the others alone

I've traced the white and yellow wire out of the Ecu plug to the fan control thing along with the green and grey one out of the Ecu plug is this right ? I've not got any wires from plugs g1/g2 f cut also whats the sensor that is mounted on top of the Ecu ? That has a wire connected and one not connected

This is a nightmare !!

6. white_gti 8v Forum Member

Sorry jonny to be a pain where should the inlet temp and fuel trigger wires from the Ecu plug run to the multi plugs that go in the fuse box or the round plug ? If the multi plugs in the fuse box which one ?

I'll have another look to see if I have and stray wires I've not picked up on

7. rubjonny

ok if those wires are fan controller they can also be binned :)

the fuel trigger is G1/3, and the inlet temp sensor is a 2 pin plug on the driver side with the lambda probe (4 pin) and carbon canister (2 pin) plug. there would have been all the lighting loom bundled in with it as well!

8. white_gti 8v Forum Member

Had a break from sorting the loom out today I've traced the brown with a red line from the round engine plug back to the fan control thing pictured below

[​IMG]

9. white_gti 8v Forum Member

The green wire with grey strip from Ecu plug I've traced back to the fan control unit. As per pics below
    [​IMG]

10. white_gti 8v Forum Member

The blue and white wire from the Ecu plug goes to a 2 pin plug which includes a green wire as per pic below
    [​IMG]

11. rubjonny

all fan control wires -> bin, 2 pin plug in pic 3 is aircon -> bin

12. white_gti 8v Forum Member

Another bit of progress today I hope I've wrapped the loom now and I'm left with plug G1, plug G2, plug F, red wire with red wire with yellow plug (z1), brown wire with brown plug, purple and white, grey with white line small brown plug, yellow and blue wire with small black plug

Is this all I need ?

Also out of plug G1 there are 2 solid black wires one of which I have cut somehow but the other is in tact and in the loom

Cheers for the help in advance guys

13. white_gti 8v Forum Member

A pic of what I have ready to plug into the fuse box
    [​IMG]

14. white_gti 8v Forum Member

A pic of plug g1 with black wire and also the yellow and blue wire with black plug
    [​IMG]

15. rubjonny

yellow/blue with black is probably the fuel pump relay trigger to g1/3, if so make sure its joined to the g1/3 pin. some looms have a plug inlive for an alarm system. the black wire looks like the coil live?

16. white_gti 8v Forum Member

Hi jonny any chance you could tell me which pins are which on the g1,g2 plugs etc Where do the PIN numbers start ?

Also where do I connect the purple and white wire too ?

17. white_gti 8v Forum Member

A close up of plug g1 with this wire

Where should it be connected too ?

[​IMG]

18. white_gti 8v Forum Member

The yellow and blue wire with black plug
    Where does it plug in ?
    [​IMG]

19. rubjonny

the black wire is g1/3, looks like this car had an alarm! see my fusebox FAQ for plug numbers and what they do, you'll want the mk3 section obviously ;)

check the yellow/blue wire for continuity back to the ecu pin 6, but im pretty confident its the g1/3 pin. if it is, pop the black wire out of g1/3 and pop the blue/yellow pin into the socket and you're done! unless your car isnt a 90spec, then dont bother as you'll have to splice the old CE1 plugs on anyway ;)

oh! and dont forget you need to swap the mk2 wiper loom over into the mk3 ecu loom before you fit it to the car!