Wiring Size

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dohcta, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Dohcta New Member

What size/ amp wire should I use to extend the ECU plug on the golf to get the ecu sitting where I want it to?

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what ecu? there are a couple wire sizes on the digifant ecu for example. the wiring loom on the digifant is pretty long already so you shouldnt need to extend, where exactly do you want to put it?

3. Dohcta New Member

Hey Johnny (again :p)..

Given the rush I was in to get the golf back on the road, I didn't have the time to completely unravel and rewire the looms on the ABF and so they are largely in the same format they were out of the mk3 donor.

Now, given the fact the ABF ecu sat centrally in the mk3,I only have enough slack to mount it in a similar position in the mk2, though I want it sitting infront of the driver in stock position, hence having to lengthen the ECU plug by bout 300mm.

And so, I am wondering what wire is best used as I do not wana cause more issues than I have already encountered.

Thanks again Johnny!

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

If you have the VW wiring schematic for the ABF loom (as seen in the Haynes/Bentley manuals for example, or in John's sig links) should have the wiring sizes annotated.

Dohcta likes this.
  5. Dohcta New Member

Had a look through Johnnys files... and they are in some kind of super human code... no idea whats what. Having searched ABF though, a few things come up, but nothing I can find w wiring diagrams :(

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

What you are looking for is sizes like 0.5. This means 0.5mm squared. Also, some wires are screened to ensure they don't pickup any air born signal noise, and it would be best to try and lengthen these using screened cable of the same type. If you could get another harness to chop up, that would be best.
    Solder and heatshrink tubing would be neatest
    Jon

Dohcta likes this.
  7. Dohcta New Member

Yep, solder and heat shrinking is how I planned to join the wiring and yeah ideally a new loom would be the best bet to butcher up, though tbh will tale time to find and I just wana get this done!

Thanks for the input though bud, the screened insulation is a good point!

8. rubjonny

LHD looms must be a bit different then, i have always managed to move the ecu over to the factory spot when making mk2 abf looms without needing to extend any wires.

doesnt the mk3 ecu loom come in from driver side in the lhd mk3? if so can you not just use the wiper motor loom grommet hole?

Dohcta likes this.
  9. Dohcta New Member

Haha, we are RHD man.

Prob is, I have to run the loom through the passengers side grommet as the plug won't fit through any closer to the drivers side...

I could possibly look to cut and resolder the plug off and back on... I will look into this.

But in the current state the loom aint gonna reach :(

10. rubjonny

abf loom rhd as well? if so you should be fine? run the ecu plug thru the middle grommet near the coil as per factory mk2 once loom is stripped fiddled with then re-taped.

if its a SEAT loom then that could be why they are a bit different. theres stacks of room under the wiper motor you could put it there instead with the abf ecu bracket modified slightly

11. Dohcta New Member

Ok, so good news, car has a WOF (your equivalent of a MOT?) and is now road worthy, though still a few gremlins needing attention before I wana drive the thing on the daily.

Back to this issue.... A Johnny stated I am currently running the ECU jammed beside the wiper motor by the fan intake, though this isn't Ideal for me and makes the setup (hidden though it maybe) look messy.

In regards to the post further up in regards to the screened knock sensor wiring, this would only be from the actual sensor to the front flange plug no?

The wiring on he ECU plug (which I assume includes wiring to the knock senor plug car side) look to be regular wiring?

I plan to try re run the wiring without having to cut and extend, but not sure even if I had to this being an issue?

Thanks boys,

T

12. rubjonny

both knock sensors are screened from ecu to sensor plugs next to the round plug, as is the lambda probe. the crank sensor isnt screened up to the plug on the front, but it is from there to the sensor.

as i say if you strip it back and take a bit of time it shouldnt need extending at all, non of the mk2 abf looms I have made have needed to be?