Wiring up Audi 80 sunroof motor

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Matt Golf, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Matt Golf Forum Member

Got one of these which has the relay attached but its got upteen connections on a plug. Anyone know the connections, I thought it would just be a positive and negative but its a bit more than that I fear. Motor is labelled up Webasto.

Thank you.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

can you upload a pic of exactly what you've got? usually the motor has a 4 pin plug which is where the switch loom and power wires plug into, if you have a bit more of the loom with switch plug attached then the easiest way would be use the matching audi switch, make a nice roof cover trim to hold it using half the old trim and half the audi trim

3. Matt Golf Forum Member

4. rubjonny

ok so the single pin plug there needs ignition live, the 4 pin is connected to the roof switch. the 'T4h' plug in this diagram is the 4 pin on your roof motor:
    Audi sunroof.png

5. Matt Golf Forum Member

That is great, thanks, presume E8 is the sunroof switch? I have a Polo "Air" switch part number 191 959 855.
    Will that work?

6. rubjonny

yes thats right. you can use that switch yes, the audi switch is basically the same internally as the mk2 window switch and polo switch. dug out a polo diagram and it looks like you can wire it up using the audi pinouts, except you need to run another feed to switch pin 6 for the illumination.

may have to flip the 2 wires in 2 & 5 and 1 & 3 the other way so the roof works in the correct direction vs switch orientation if that makes sense

7. Matt Golf Forum Member

Dont suppose you got a Mk4 Polo Open air switch diagram?

8. rubjonny

just use the audi diagram above, match up all the polo switch pins to the diagram, add another ignition/illumination wire to polo switch pin 6 for the light.

if the roof works in the opposite direction then swap 2 & 5 and 1 & 3 over then it'll work the correct way. so put wire from pin 5 onto pin 3, wire on pin 3 to pin 5. wire from pin 2 on pin 1, pin 1 wire to pin 2.

diagram is in my sig anyway, '6nopenair.pdf'

Matt Golf likes this.
  9. Matt Golf Forum Member

I am going to wire this direct to battery rather than splice an existing feed (hate splicing).
    What gauge power wire should I use and what rating inline fuse?

Cheers

10. rubjonny

no need to run wires to battery or splice, the fusebox has plenty live and ignition feeds designed for exactly this kind of thing :)

wire gauge is shown right there on the diagram, for example 1.0mm2 for the switch wiring ;)