Wiring

Discussion in 'ICE' started by KingPin, Jan 11, 2004.

1. KingPin Forum Member

Ok spent all day preping the car for the speakers to go in next weekend, my job during the week is to sort the wiring out, so heres my problem.

I want to run a power feed straight from the battery what is the best sort of cable to use. and also how to I work out what size fuse i will need (running co-ax's up front, one sub in the boot)

What sort of speaker wire shall i get for the speakers, and the sub.

Also Halfords were selling earthing wire, what the hells that about the, thought anywire would do for earthing.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jason

2. mbh69 Forum Member

you want 4 or 8 guage wiring with a fuse just next to the battery if ur runnin more than 1 amp u will need a distributer fused or not doesn't matter

earth wire is normal wire but usually with black or silver coating u want the same size earth as live wire

as for fuses see what ur amps are rated at if theres only one, use the same size fuse if theres more ur lookin at 60 amps unless there very powerfull run live down one side of ur car and rca's down the opposite to stop interferance and u should be in luck

any probs there is loads of info on www.talkaudio.co.uk

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

rite mate,

do you have your sub wired and amp wired in already?

if not, for your amp you will need a wireing kit, in the wireing kit you will get all the gear you need to wire up the amp,

the bigger the amps output then generally the bigger the power cable you will need and there for earth, your earth needs to be the same guage as the power wire,
    (but you should get all that in your wiring kit), as for fuses, if you get the correct wiring kit then the correct fuse rating should be in there, if you dont get a wiring kit, then to work out the fuse: does your amp have its own fuses? if it does the work it out from that, if not then it should say in the hand book,

for the sub you should get some pretty decent wire, but dont spend too much, i got 5 meters, with which i wired 2 DVC subs in parralle in the box, then from the box to the amp.

as for the speakers you dont really need as good speaker wire, if you are wiring your speakers too the boot (because you are amping them) you will need about 20 meters - i wired my speakers down the right hand side of the car, so i needed more wire to go to the left hand speaker, i didnt use all 20 meters i got a couple of meters left over,

if you arent wireing them to an amp and you are using your HU to power them then you will need alot less, say 3 meters for each side being generous,

wireing:

when acctually wiring the car, run the RCA's down the centre of the car, the power cable down the passangers side (unless your battery is on the drivers side then run it down that side) and your speaker wires down the drivers side,

so that they are all seperate, this will stop and interfearance, such as revvs being heard through your speakers etc...

if you need to know any thing else just ask...

tim

4. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

lol beat me too it!

for a wireing kit look on car audio direct

take the power of the amp and get one that is the closest, although get the one that is rated a higher power if the one below it is alot less power.

tim

5. Madbloke Forum Member

I always make my own wireing kits as they work out cheaper

6. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yes that is true but as he is doing it for the first time maybe its a good idea that he gets it all in one go, so he knows it will all be there and the correct stuff he needs,

tim

7. KingPin Forum Member

The sub is one of them boxed jobbies, amp and such is already in side, just plug in the two wires into the back job done.

What sort of thickness wire am i after for the sub box then?

Cheers

8. mbh69 Forum Member

8 guage

9. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yeh 8 guage should do you,

tim

10. Madbloke Forum Member

It aint really difficult though ---

8 guage positive
    8 guage negative
    in line fuse holder
    around 5 amp remote wire
    Connectors for above
    Set of RCA cables

Length required is determined by size of car and battery position

If you dont want to splash out on 8 guage then 20.5 amp cable should be enough

11. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

i personally found it easier to buy the kit when i started out, just thought it wasnt that easy to get to grips with,

but that proabably just me!

tim

12. Grantson Forum Member

got a good deal on a wireing kit
    60amp kit wiht power earth remote inulated RCa's speaker wire and a load of gold terminals for 20

(the joys of cash [:D]