wishbone bushes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by oak8vgti, Feb 27, 2004.

1. oak8vgti Forum Member

which ones for a mk2 gti 8v powerflex or bugpack?

2. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

got bugpack in mine and no complaints, steering and cornering feels much more direct

3. oak8vgti Forum Member

anyone else, am goin to but some on monday bt am unsure which to go for? and there is a massive difference in price too

4. bigfatpixey Forum Member

i got powerflex wishbone bushes and bugpack steering rack bushes. no complaints ere :clap:

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I went poewrflex, no complaints either :lol:

6. vwpolo2000 Forum Member

I heard that powerflex bushes make the ride too stiff, and they squeak.
    Is this true?

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

No, use plenty of coppa slip when fitting, I`ve heard no squeaking, car`s been fully bushed for over a year now..

8. bigfatpixey Forum Member

it will reduce the movement of the wishbones in directions that they are not suppose to go in, that might make it feel a bit stiff, but its all good [:D]

9. 8v steve Forum Member

where do u get the bug pack bushes from ? is it a mail orer job or can i get them from a shop. (around the westmidlands)

10. bigfatpixey Forum Member

dunno, they came on the rack when i bought it :lol:

11. 8v steve Forum Member

volks speed sell them ill give em a ring 2morrow .
    :)

12. oak8vgti Forum Member

you can get bugpack bushes from C&R too, this is y i wanna find out the best type to get, there is quite a bit of difference in the price, but think i will go power flex front wishbone and powerflex rear axle bushes seems to be a very good combination, thanks for all the replys, heres to scraped nuckles next week

13. oak8vgti Forum Member

fitted my new powerflex bushes today, looks alot better now, just waitng for some parts form the dealer before it goes back in, fitted braided hoses and mk4 rear calipers too, new disc and pads aswell. all looks good, great satisfaction from whacking the old bushes out to, worked a nice sweat in the process lol, just the fronts to do now and 280mm brake conversion, come on guys powerflex or bugpack which is it to be

14. jcorallo Forum Member

Whats all this about then?!? [:s]

I've no experience of Powerflex bushes.....

How do these bushes actually 'bush' the joint then?

The idea of a conventional rubber bush is that you have no rubbing or sliding surfaces - so what you have is a rubber 'filler' in the moving joint that twists as the two components rotate. The rubber filler is vulcanised (stuck) to the inner and outer casings. Its when one of these joints fails that squeaking occurs.

I'm thinking that if you have to use copper slip, then there is something wrong?!? [:s]

Clue me in please.

Jules
    Edited by: jcorallo

15. oak8vgti Forum Member

what he means is when fitting new powerflex bushes into the wishbones to coat the outside of the bush in copper slip to help in the aid of refiiting and to stop the outer side of the bush from squeaking in the housin, the "filler" as u call it is the bush

see link for picslink
    Edited by: oak8vgti

16. jcorallo Forum Member

yeah you missed my point though. [:$]

A conventional rubber bush has no sliding surfaces so should not require any lubrication.

You usually have to 'set' them by only tightening the bolts up when the car is sat on the ground under its own weight, otherwise you risk over-twisting them.

The surfaces only start to slide (and thus squeak) when the bushes have faled - i.e. the rubber to metal bonding has broken.

But whats weird is that these front bushes arent bonded to the wishbone (and dont have a thin metal case to which they are bonded).

I think its just a weird design - doesnt look like either the OEM or Powerflex bushes would last long as it seems that they will grind themselves up as they turn back and forth in the wishbone housing.

Get my point? ;)

Jules

17. Joe_G Forum Member

Yeah, I get your point! :)

They don't rotate in the wishbone housing, they rotate around the central metal sleeve. The material in the bushes is specially designed to be self lubricating and the sleeves are stainless steel as well so they won't rust. The copper grease is there to give them a helping hand!

Same principal for the rear beam bushes, they're fixed pretty much in the beam and rotate around the central metal sleeve.

Cheers,
    Joe

18. jcorallo Forum Member

ahhhhh! Good stuff - cheers!

Jules

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Yeh, if they worked like a normal bonded bush you`d get little or no movent out of them. Thats why they last longer as they work differently to the bonded rubber bushes, and that`s why they can get away with being made out od stiffer material.

You may have grief if you don`t lubricate them prior to fitting, I was told to put loads on.

20. jcorallo Forum Member

Yep - I see now - so they are actually 'plain' bushes.

I really like the look of those rear wishbone bushes. My car seems to be very sensitive to camber and wheel alignment and those look like the just the jobies to help my cause.

Unfortunatly, I've just recently replaced both my front wishbones (which were complete with standard bushes - from GSF). I still have my old wishbones so I can knock out the old bushes to replace with Powerflex, ready for the next time I need to get my tracking done.... which wont be long with the state of the roads here in Essex [:x]

Whats the going rate for these then?

Cheers,

Jules
    Edited by: jcorallo