Wishbone bushings?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by einarborg1, Nov 8, 2010.

1. einarborg1 Forum Member

I badly need to know how long changing my wishbone buchings will take...

I got all the good stuff I need for the job (lift, air tools and more) and I got modiret experiens in car repairs

just need to know as I am in the middle of my exames at school so I dont have all the time in the world to do this

I know I can never get an exact time just need to know if its a job I can finish in one evening or so

Thanks

2. James V Forum Member

what car is it? sometimes it's easier to buy new wishbones and fit new bushes into them than it is to get the old ones out and put new ones in, certainly the case on Mk1's unless you have a press to hand. Shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour each side if you're re reasonably competent

3. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

einarborg.

Changing the bushes is not so easy so as to be quickly done.

You really need the use of a hydraulic press to push the old ones out and then push the new ones in!

Can you buy new wishbones with the bushes already installed? In the UK and Ireland they are readily available.

or

If you can hammer the old bushes out, I understand that Polybushes are easier to fit, if you don't have a press.

Two things to be very careful with:

1 - The rear bush bolts can be hard to unscrew, and sometimes break. There are many threads on CGTI about the problems you can have if this happens.

2 - The very thin tube, used in the rear bushes, is sometimes difficult to remove, and quite difficult to put back.

Good Luck,

Dave.

4. einarborg1 Forum Member

I have a press at hand and the cost of new wishbones is sky high in Iceland even if I get them cheep on ebay the coustums are insane

the car is a MK2 with only 72.000 kms on it so im hoping it wont be to big a problem geting the arms out...
    the previus owner is a HUGE d**k and abused the car so much that the rear bushing is totaly worn out (and the rest of the car is not in its best shape at all, but geting there)

can you guys tell me what size the bolts are in the wishbone so that I can get them in advanse (if they brake or are shoot to s**t)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  5. Dave

einaborg.

You don't really need to buy new bolts before you do the job!

If one of the rear bolts does break, then you will have plenty of time to buy new bolts!;)

Check out this thread to see what fun it can be to remove the bit of the broken bolt that is still stuck in the chassis![xx(]

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222973

For your information:

Front Bolt = N 90484003 - M12 x 1.5 x 82

Rear Bolt = N 10087403 - BM12 x 1.5 x 74

Rear Bolt Sleeve = 191407190 A

If I were you, I would only buy the proper VW bolts. I am pretty sure the rear one is special to match the sleeve!

6. alexisblades99 Forum Member

I believe if you buy the mk3 golf rear bushes, they don't need/use the annoying sleeves, as the hole down the middle fits the bolt without it. Would save a lot of hassle as they can be a bugger to line up.

Might be worth getting someone to confirm this though, as I'm not 100% sure?

7. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

I took me a day to do them having never done them before and all my bolts came out easily.

Fortunatly i had the use of a sixt ton bearing press a bit over the top i know.

I had to burn the front bushes out as i was strugeling to get the angel to push the old ones out. The new polly bushes were two piece front so easy to fit.

If you havent got access to press you can buy new wishbones with bushes on ebay 25 a side but then there not polly bushes.

Hope all goes well.

8. einarborg1 Forum Member

so the deed is done it took 6 hours to do both sides and had to cut into the floor on both sides as well

thank god I had a lift and air tools

9. Dave

Well done einarborg!:thumbup:

Did you take photos?

10. einarborg1 Forum Member

No sorry no pics this time...
    The hole in the floor was real esey.

1# The proses if geting to the bolt:
    Poped the litel lid under the floor mats (just under the clutch pedal)

2# after the lid is of, you can take a wise-grip plier and take to the hole and rip a strait line down towards the driver seat and when you got about a 4" line make a sort of T shape opening and fold the two flaps that you have just made...

3# Then just use the same wise-grip you used to make the opening in the floor and grip on the nut tipe thing that is on the bolt.

4# when the bolt is finally out and you have put a new bolt and nut in place you simplly fold the flaps that make the opening and put back the carpets inplace

Im going to do a good DIY for this proses when I get the time