wishbone

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by so1o, Sep 4, 2005.

1. so1o Forum Member

Just a quick question. I changed the passenger side wishbone the other day and now im sure that side sitshigher then the other side.

The wishbone had new bushes and a new ball joint on it. Im thinking its going to settle down a bit afterwards but its looks a little too high.

Its about 2-3 fingers high over the drivers side. Could i have done something wrong? I triple checked everything. I know the hub sat down on the ball joint properly. Could the anti roll bar affect this? I had a bit of a problem trying to get this to sit exactly like the other side. Mr Haynes shows a pic so i tried to match it up exactly like that.

Anyone know what it could be? Or will it settle down after a while?

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

maybe it was like that before? but you didnt notice?

top mounts tired possibly?

3. so1o Forum Member

Thats what im thinking. Could have been like that before. Someone said just let it settle down a bit.

Will give the top mounts a look over the weekend.

Cheers.

4. Golden Forum Junkie

Did oyu tighten the new wishbone up with the suspension hanging down? [:[]

5. so1o Forum Member

Yep did all that. Im going to run the car for a while, after my brakes have been sorted and see where i stand after that.

6. Golden Forum Junkie

That's not an answer!

If you tighten the wishbone up while it's hanging then the rubber bush 'winds up' when you let the car down and holds that corner of the car up until the rubber fails.

7. so1o Forum Member

LOL

I did what it said in the Haynes manual. Something along the lines of do not tighten up anything, let the car take its own weight, bounce it a few times then tighten. Something like that.

I will take everything apart tommorow and see whats what.

Golden what do you mean hanging? How do I or when do i tighten the bolts? What should be connected to the wishbone when i tighten it?

8. Golden Forum Junkie

As long as you let the weight of the car back down on it then did it up the bush should be fine, look elsewhere.

9. so1o Forum Member

Nice one. Golden i did exaxctly what you said. I found the problem. The bush at the back of the wishbone on the other side looks as though its popped out, hence why one side is higher then the other.

Thanks for all your help.

Solo