Wishing to get more power out of my 9a

Discussion in '16-valve' started by rez, Mar 26, 2011.

1. REZ

rez New Member

Hey guys,
    I've got a 9a set up in my mk1. I was wondering what sort of things I could get done to it on a budget. I heard you could swap the cams? or even fit the KR head with the cams. Would this make much difference and is it hard to do?

Cheers :)

2. REZ

rez New Member

ok, so there doesn't seem to be an edit option. Apologies for the double post.

If these are viable upgrades, would I have to change anything to do with the fueling? get anything mapped etc?

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

If you still have the 9a cams in there then swap them for either a set of ABF cams or swap the inlet for a KR one as the exhaust one is already the same. What fueling are you running, should see some horses if its set up rite.

4. DRV

DRV Forum Member

I would use PL,9A or KR exhaust camshaft instead of yours intake. There is some problems with camshaft timing during this mode, but it is the cheapest way to go.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Or you can bring that car as is to the dyno day on the 24th get a baseline. This will give direction regarding what to do next. We are looking for a base 9A engine as a reference.

6. REZ

rez New Member

cheers for the replies guys.

Im running stock fueling. At the moment money is very tight, so im trying to find the best bang for buck upgrades I can do to the engine, so to speak.

Aswell as doing the intake cam, would it be worth swaping the exhaust cam for a KR one? I was under the impression that the 9a exhaust cam was different to the KR due to the 9a having a cat?

I was also told about inlet changes? If so, which inlet would be best for stock fueling?

@toyotec where abouts are you based? I may be interested. I am eager to find out what kind of power the engine is putting out as it has done about 130k miles now. I think it may be overfueling too, so it would help. Another theory is that the CSV is broken as it is pretty hard to start on a cold day and you can smell the car coming :p (along with hearing it)

7. DRV

DRV Forum Member

According to this thread >>>http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156126 exhaust cams on 9A and KR are the same.
    I've made calculations of inlet manifolds and there isn't big difference in power between 50mm ID 430mm long and 45mm ID 370mm inlet runners. 50mm inner diameter intake manifold makes messy torque line.

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Depending on the year 9A the inlet cam from either KR if fitted with 051103373 head or ABF if fitted with 051103373D can be used to shift the torque higher up the rev range. The exhaust camshaft does not have to replaced once matched to the base head.

The dyno day in the Wandsworth, London. There will be mixture equipment that will be used to log AFR/Lambda on the test.

9. REZ

rez New Member

As well as shifting the torque higher up the rev range, would it make for any noticable power improvement? Apologies for newbish questions.

Ack! I feared you may be a bit far away. I'm all the way up in Shropshire! Should make for an interesting trip though.