Woah, help needed urgently!!!! pictures.

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by suttonval, Aug 6, 2006.

1. suttonval Forum Member

My car developed a creeking noise over the last two days when steering. Was really odd, ive just noticed that the suspension struts have lifted up (or atleast looks like it has)and its the suspension that is creeking when steering!!!!

How the hell has this happened?? it seems to of started after supporting the engine with a jack to change the starter motor. Now im stressing!!! agggghhhh, help or advice please guys. [:^(]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

The top caps don't look overly high or abnormal....are you sure the springs are seated correctly in the retainers? When the car is jacked, the fully extended damper can be longer than the spring (meaning they rotate out of position) and when it's lowered back down they can sit incorrectly, especially on cars with lowering springs.

EDIT: just read you didn't actually jack the whole car up....oops!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  3. suttonval Forum Member

So your saying they look normal?? i just paniced a bit, is it normal for the top caps to rotate slightly and pivot etc when steering left and right?? both sides do it. The picture is of the car not jacked up, just sitting normally.

4. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Yes, they are designed to pivot and rotate.

5. suttonval Forum Member

ahhhh, shows how little me knows about mechanics, hehe. Could the creeking noise from them mean the bushes or bearings are worn out?? also there is more thread exposed at the top of the drivers side strut than the passenger side, and the passenger side rides higher, can i just nip the passenger side up to match the thread of the drivers side?? Thanks!!

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

creaking noise could be, as funkbaron says, spring not seated correctly

7. suttonval Forum Member

How could i ensure it is seated correctly?? should i jack the side up that is creaking(drivers side) and attempt to turn the spring round?? I know there under compression but with a bit of force will it turn??

8. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

just as a side note, when i did exactly the same job on my mk2 i found it was a bit creaky for a few miles as the front mount settled back down. pulling away from a junction there was a larger creak and with that it stopped [:s]

If all springs are seated well and the rest of the suspension is in order maybe you could have a look at the mount where the starter bolts up and just try loosening slightly and re-tightening

9. ChrisUK Forum Member

My car does this on the rear left too :(

Thought it might be a worn bush or bearing...

How do you make sure the spring is seated properly?

10. Vento Jim Forum Member

My creaking noise comes from the rack. It's a proper dry sounding creaking noise. I checked the struts and top mounts (fairly new anyway) and they're fine, it's definately coming from the steering box. Gash tbh [xx(]

11. Jetta Forum Junkie

Sure its not loose subframe rack mounting bolt?

one of mine keeps on comming loose, I'm going to have to remove it weld the hole up a bit, hammer a new bolt in (they are supposed to "bite" into the subframe) and fit new nuts

Also never turn the bolt only the nut,, the guy in the breakers must have turned the bolt when he removed the rack from my replacement subframe.

12. FABVR6 Forum Member

ITs the top bearing siezed, damn common with the + top mounts like u have, good news is they are only a few quid each from vw!!

13. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Yeh, you can try, but the retaining plates will spin too. Only way to reseat the springs is to compress the springs with spring compressors. The spring is seated correctly when the coil ends are sat against the raised "bumps" in the retaining plates. It's easier to see than explain, but should be plainly obvious if you look at the grooves in the plates.

As said, there's more that can cause creaking, but springs tend to be the most common issue. However, the fact it does it only when steering suggests it could be something other than the suspension. Try bouncing the car with it stationary, is the noise still there?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006