Won’t Start (what can i do)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Coxy, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Coxy New Member

Hello chaps im a newbie to forums but i thought i would see if i could get some pearls of wisedom from you lot on a problem i'm haveing with my Mk 1 Golf GTI.
    It died at a petrol station the before Xmas. After almost running the battery flat trying to start it i gave up and tryed to get a toe just as i had got that arranged it started with 1 last turn of the key. once home i sorted out some new plugs and leads from GSF (as they were old and knackered and on my list of bits i needed) so i went to start the car to go and get tham and it was dead again.
    Since then i have asked a few people and tryed a few things i have put new leads, plugs, distrubutor cap, rotor arm, coil and ignition module on but still all it dose is turn over but not fire.
    I can smell petrol when i try to start it
    I can hear the fule pump going
    so it seems to be getting fule
    The oil looks OK (not grey)
    I have tryed taking off the air filter to get more air in and that made no differance
    so it must be getting air
    so my thinking is that it must be electrical but maybe it is a fule injection thing. I dont know anything about fuleing thou.
    i was hopeing that some Golf heads would be able to sugest some thing for me to reserect my little Hun mobile.
    Any sugestions would be appreciated
    (Not my actual car) [​IMG]

2. Rustynuts Forum Member

I would guess that it could be the metering head that has given up the ghost from what you have said, although I am no fuel systems expert.

3. Coxy New Member

don't want to sound stupid but what is the metering head, what dose it look like and where is it?

P.S. cheers for replying

4. Scuttle New Member

Whenever my Mk1('83) used to die it was always the fuel pump relay. I can't remember whether the fuel pump still ran though, be worth checking though if you know someone with a working one.

5. bigfatpixey Forum Member

when u turn they key when it is dead, does it seem like the battery is flat? my mk2 16v did this a couple of times, i cleand off all the grounds and the battery terminals and its never done it since :)

6. Coxy New Member

batterys fine
    engin turns over but won't fire up

7. vw scottie Forum Member

have you tried to see if you have a spark at your plugs

8. Steve B Forum Junkie

coxy i have a mk2 16v which has / had the exact same problem was in the garage a week odd trying to fix it, from what i understand its the fuel pump regulator thing

which regulates the amount of fuel i was getting, it turned out to be far to much and just flooded the engine everytime i tried to start it

what the aa man did when i was stranded at a petrol station is took the fuel pump relay off the car then started it, it fired first time but then obviously cut out because there was no more fuel being delivered.

anyway i have no idea where the regulator is and how it can be fixed, the garage half fixed mine it still starts crap takes ages but it now does start

im thinking of replacing it with one of an old car i have

if i were you i would get a haynes manuel and see what that says.

9. vw scottie Forum Member

my car digi8v gti took ages to start and some times not at all when it did start a cloud of black smoke came out of the exhaust. it also didn`t do much to the gallon 23mpg found out it was the blue temp sender that was f**ked swaped it all ok now starting first time and doing 35mpg :)
    Edited by: vw scottie

10. Coxy New Member

Thanks a lot for your help guys i have this weekend off and after an xmas and newyears spent traveling with the scum and weirdos on public transport im getting quite desperate to get back on the road
    oh yeah and:p HAPPY NEW YEAR :p