wonky engine

Discussion in '16-valve' started by timsummers, Jan 3, 2012.

1. timsummers New Member

I've just fitted an ABF to my mk2 Golf along with an 020 8v gearbox. I've used a 16v/G60 rear engine mount and a 1.3 gearbox mount as seems to be recommended. The front mount is the usual 8v front mount. The engine now sits much higher on the drivers side as can be seen here.

I've put a straight edge from wing to wing in line with one of the wing bolts. Its an 86mm drop to the rocker in line with the no.1 plug and 96mm drop at no.4.

Any help appreciated, this one's got me stumped.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looks fine to me, though ive not actually measured mine. but those are the same mounts i used in mine

3. timsummers New Member

Definitely on the pi$$. Difficult to get a decent photo this or this may show it better.

The rear mount bracket is probably the original PB engine one, is there a difference from tall to short block brackets?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the brackets are the same on all mk2s, the mk3 bracket is a totally different shape due to the rear mount being different. the extra deck height on the block is above where the mount bolts to so its not that either.

see my build thread for the pics of mine, but afaik they all sit slightly higher on one side its normal

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

ABF Engine installed in the "How to" 16v KJet car using original 16v mountings with 020 gearbox and 16v brackets.
    [​IMG]

There is a small tilt on the cambelt cover side.

ABF Engine installed in the "How to" 8v Digi car using 8v mountings and 020 gearbox and 8v brackets.
    [​IMG]

More relevant,
    ABF Engine installed in Ben S ABF for Throttle exercise with 16v driverside engine bracket and mounts, Corrado front bracket and Passat engine mount, 02A Gearbox and brackets on Mk2 gearbox mount.

[​IMG]

They all tilt slighty upwards towards the cambelt end.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. timsummers New Member

Thanks chaps. :thumbup: Wonder what the reason is?? I suppose if the mounts, blocks and gearboxes are the same across the big block range then all mk2s should be like it? Can't believe I've had it 12 years and not noticed. [:s]

The perfectionist in me wants to try and level it tho.

7. SimonG Forum Member

Even my KR is the same, nothing to worry about unless the bonnet doesn't shut :lol:

8. timsummers New Member

no problem there, the plenum is in the bin. :lol: