Wonky wheels

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by luthor, Apr 29, 2004.

1. luthor New Member

Hello to you lovely people and I hope some one can help me with this prob. I have an 87 MKII 8v Golf GTI, and three days ago had a new clutch fitted.Picked the car up from the garage and drove it home. Felt strange on the steering and the steering wheel was not centered. Got the car home and had a look at the front wheels. Now the drivers side is fine and when it is straight the other wheel is slightly out of alignment, not much but enough to notice it. Took it back today to the garage and was told it was nothing that they had done and must have been done either before or after they had it. A case of we have your money now f**k off!!! Had a mate of mine check it who works for a Hi Q place and was told that tracking wouldn't fix this and that nothing looks out of place. I know this car was straight before this new clutch went in and was wondering if any one knew what could be the cause of this. Also before any one says take it back and complain, I already have, and also been to trading standards who basically have said it's down to me to prove that the car was ok before. How can you do that? Oh well. Any help would be great.
    Thanx
    Loo
    Edited by: luthor

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

They`ve takien the hub off one side for some reason and not put it back spot on? (so the camber`s out and this also knocks the tracking out).

Have a look at the bolts at the bottom of the struts on both sides to check if they look like they`ve been removed recently. You`ll need a 4 wheel alignment to sort it out..

3. jc.. Forum Member

I woudl be more concerned to know why they took the hub off in the first place!!
    They were doing the clutch, right!?

4. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Probably whacked it on kerb when test driving.

5. luthor New Member

Thanks for the responses. Will try to find somewhere that does four wheel alignment and see what that produces. Once again Thanks.
    Loo

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Good point, could of kerbed it [xx(]