Won't start when warm.... and found loose thing...

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Gerbertoyd, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Gerbertoyd New Member

mk2 golf driver starts and runs perfectly, however turn her off, try to restart her when warm she simply struggles for a few minutes turning over and not running.

I am considering fuel accumulator at the top of engine, read about removing a blue plug, however I can't find it...

loose

2. Gerbertoyd New Member

When looking in engine bay and feeling for anything loose. I found a loose round connector the size of 5 penny pieces thick and powered by black / yellow and black lead.

3. GTI_LOUIS New Member

Sounds like a coolant sensor issue, also check for any obvious damage on the wiring/plug. :thumbup:

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what engine has it got for starters, pics might be helpful. I've just upgraded your account so you can now upload them straight to the forum :)

5. Gerbertoyd New Member

Hi again all. I am new to posting on the forum, previously a reader so I believe I have to post 10 messages before being allowed to post photos.

She is an old 1.8 block with webber carb.

I will upload my photos for all.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

6. rubjonny

right so thats the carb heater, it should be bolted to the front of the weber carb adaptor plate. its not massively important many conversions have this missing and it certainly wont be causign your issue.

does it still have the fuel accumulator/swirl pot on the front of the cylinder head?

7. Gerbertoyd New Member

Once again a huge thanks for the response. It does have a fuel accumulator on the front. I ordered a new one from fleabay and awaiting it to arrive. The car is parked up at work currently as the front Indicator fell off whilst on a jolly (awaiting the pair of clear replacements to arrive.

8. rubjonny

ok, sometimes the issue can be the fuel return needs a restrictor, they had one originally but it can go missing. a welding tip pushed up the hose does the job anyway. a lot of peopel bin the whole thing and block the return, but personally I would try to keep the pot