won't start when warm??

Discussion in '16-valve' started by conor2469, Mar 13, 2009.

1. conor2469 Forum Member

I recently put my 1.8 KR mk2 golf 16v back together after a 16v rebuild. I'm having a few problems. From cold it will start first time and idle at 1200 RPM, after 20 seconds when the cold start turns off it runs like **** and won't tick over unless you keep revving it. Then when it gets warm it won't start if you let it cut out. Any ideas folks?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does sound like what mine did, try disconnecting the electrical plug. this helped on mine, not sure if its due to bust wur or if basic setup is wrong, not inclined to mess with it as it'll be coming off the road soon for an abf loom swap anyway.

3. conor2469 Forum Member

I had a quick look at the WUR, at a glance it looks ok, lines look to be in order, grey plug is plugged in.
    I haven't checked my fuel pressure yet, I don't have a gauge. However My car ran alright before the rebuild, is there a chance I could have altered it?
    Rubjonny you mentioned disconnecting the electrical plug, are you referring to the plug on the WUR?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep thats the very one! all this will do is make it run 'on choke' a little longer, it only worked in my case as I guess either base co is too low or the wur itself is shafted.
    but it stopped it runnign like a sack o cack and being a sod to start, so I'm happy to leave it at that as its only temporary. Car goes like a rocket so I'm happy :lol:

5. shane d Forum Member

How's things? did you check the wires/plugs on the side of the head????? try turning up idle at throttle butterfly??? Check dizzy cap for crack,moisture. check ignition/cam timing. check for vacuum leaks, you know how.

6. shane d Forum Member

hi there. any joy with this?? Agree with rubjonny also. Martin treacy in westward precision engineering knows valvers very well and he can set it up 100% for you.

7. conor2469 Forum Member

hey shane, no joy yet, i may be giving Martin a call in the next few days if I don't get it sorted, thanks for your help though.