work blackberrys - can i use my own?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by M7R, Dec 2, 2011.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Work have finally given us blackberrys (yep our IT is YEARS out of touch!!!) but true to form we have been given the most usless ones going! we have got Curve 9300 phones, with the smallest buttons and screen going! (I have been using a SE Satio.. not the most up to date phone, but a big touch screen making emails, and the web easy to read, and a good touch screen key board that my fat fingers can work.

so now we are blackberrys, I am tempted to get a Torch, but does anyone know if if its possible to set it up to get my works emails from our enterprise server with out copying across our full IT policy? as I have read this can be a pain when you come to seel the phone, and our policy is pants..we arent even allowed BBM so the engineers can ask each other questions when out in the field! :lol:

Karl

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You would need an activation code which can be granted by the adminsitrator of the BES server. This can be used in Enterprise Device Activation on the BB.

You could in theory get your password wrong 5x times, which should wipe the device. If your IT department let you activate this yourself, they can grant the code. Accidentally getting your password wrong 5x times will guarantee that you at least need to call your service desk for a new activation code.

However, if your IT department require that you take the device to them for the activation, you are **** out of luck. The activation codes are use once as well.

However, once you have finished with the phone, if you could get this working and IT dont spot it (as BES will report on all devices in use - If they do spot it, then will just remote wipe the device, or lock it), then you can just wipe the device when you come to sell it.

Of course, you could just put the sim in a Torch without activating it, and if your company have a publically facing OWA server, then you could sync to that witha 3rd party application.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Hhmm after I posted I did some more reading and I came to the conclusion it would be easier to just make a pain of my self and keep asking for my phone to be swapped for a better one with a proper sized touch screen and buttons lol that way its not my cost. The managment board have the touch screen ones so it isn't like they can't get them

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

If your company is anything like ours, we have to buy all our devices sim free from Vodafone and at full retail cost. Meaning that we issue out the crappest BB Curve going. Most our users break the BBs every few months, heavy handed, throwing them on the floor etc, so im glad that we dont issue decent phones to all the people that constantly break them.

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

we normaly get what ever is free on our contract, or what we can "upgrade" too for free... however my last offical works phone is now 3 years old and was trashed after a year (it had no staying power!) so for the last 2 years I have been using my own phone, which wasn't too bad and get better when they finally turned the net on a couple of months back.

I'll keep on at them and see what come of it... but I am guess sod all as is always the case with our IT

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

So you can't just swap the SIM card??

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

IT say if wont work back in my old phone.... but not sure if thats bull... and blackberrys are like I phones, they have to be "activated" I belive