worrying buzzing sound!!!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by jamie_16v, Nov 22, 2008.

1. jamie_16v Forum Member

hi guys, at high speeds or under heavy acceleration my mk2 16v golf makes a loud buzzing/squealing noise. it doesn't happen very often but i want to go back to the ring next year and want to be able to drive it hard. my mate has told me this is an alarm that sounds if the oil pump isn't circulating enough oil. is this right and is it something to worry about? or can i just ignore it?

thanks jamie

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Of course you can't ignore it; it's the low oil pressure warning buzzer that is alerting you to the fact that your oil pressure is far too low at high RPM.

Your best first step is to invest in an oil pressure gauge. Every MK2 should have one.

You'll probably find that your oil pump either needs cleaning out or replacing, or even worse it's engine wear (worn bearings result in lower pressure). Or you might be very lucky and find that it's a pressure sensor problem.

You cannot fix a low oil pressure problem by simply topping up your oil.

How many miles has your engine done?

As a first step, get an oil pressure gauge ordered immediately. Fit it, and see what oil pressures you're getting. We'll be able to advise you on here what kind of figures you should be seeing minimum.

3. jamie_16v Forum Member

it has done 200,000 miles on the original engine. a pressure gauge sounds good but where would i mount it in the dash and how would i wire it in, is there already a pressure sensor in the block? any instructions/links or photo's would be appreciated.

i have just started to rebuild another kr, am stripping at the mo but can anyone list all the bearings and seals im going to need. can i get these parts from gsf or is vw the better option?

4. jamie_16v Forum Member

right guys, i had my oil pressure checked today and it is as follows:

1000rpm = 2 bar
    2000rpm = 4 bar
    2500rpm = 4.5 bar
    3000rpm = 5 bar
    3500rpm = 5.5 bar
    4000rpm = 6 bar

could you please tell me if this is ok or not?

cheers guys, jamie

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Your engine could be in jeopardy and that's what you're worried about?!!! [xx(]

Anyway, the readings sound too high if anything..

How did you check it?

6. jamie_16v Forum Member

i checked it through the first oil pressure sensor with a MAC TOOLS gauge, why is high oil pressure a bad thing?

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

did you check with cold oil or warm
    i onced had a problem on mine,the oil pressure relief valve was goosed causing very high pressure,,when i turned the engine over it would spin like it had no plugs in and no comp,apparently the high pressure had made the valves stay open slightly,luckily not enuf to hit the pistons

8. jamie_16v Forum Member

i checked it warm, fully up to temp. what and where is the oil pressure relief valve?

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

in the oil pump cover

10. jamie_16v Forum Member

cool, is it the square box thing between the filter and housing bracket. sorry bout the terminology, am still getting to know my way round these engines!

11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

no mate thats the oil cooler the oil pump is inside the sump

12. jamie_16v Forum Member

ah, should have read that properly, geuss i'll have to have the sump off again (only just sealed because it was leaking).

thinking back now i remember my mate (previous owner) teling me he had to put a new oil cooler on it because he blew one of the pressure switches out when he was driving it hard, resulting in it stripping the threads in the cooler!

dam, i forgot about that [8(]

new oil pump? also is there a pick up or something blocked? cheers for the help mate!!

13. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I must confess I have learned something there because I thought that the MK2 VW engines didn't have a pressure release valve on the oil pumps. I know other cars do, but for some reason I thought the MK2s didn't.

14. neil kaye Forum Junkie

ill see if i can find a pic,yes it does have a pick up that can block up but having said all this ,,this is not a diagnosis for your problem we still need to find out if the resuls are normal yet,the book of lies says (for an 8v) MIN of 2 bar@ 2000rpm @80degrees oil temp

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does the haynes say where thats merasured from, the head is lower pressure than the oil filter. that being said my abf is only just over 1bar when hot at idle!

16. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i cant see owt in the haynes showing where to check from,if you check at the head would you use the hole for the oil temp sender?

17. rubjonny

on an 8v you use the hole for the low pressure sender, the temp sender for oil is in the filter housing :)

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

Do you mean you took the sensor out to screw in a sensor for the MAC gauge?

It could just be that the sensor is gone, if it's causing the low pressure alarm.

19. neil kaye Forum Junkie

im on about a 16v dude

20. rubjonny

well you said 8v in your haynes quote, hence why i was asking where the haynes says to measure from :lol:

For a 16v it would have to be from the filter housing, i doubt you would get a good pressure reading from the back of the head.