Worth getting wider tyres?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by shiggins92, Dec 17, 2014.

1. shiggins92 Forum Member

I am currently running 195/45/15 T1R's on a golf mk2 20vt with 7" wide wheels.

What width tyre would you recommend? Im thinking that too wide would become 'spongy'?

What are people running?

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Narrower is faster, as less drag. How often are you running out of grip?
    T1R's very soft breakaway, easy to find the limit, not necessarily a bad thing unless your racing
    Bigger looks better, that's generally
    the reason people change.
    Gearing?
    7*15 is my personal favourite wheel size, for a variety of reasons (mostly VFM/choice)
    What do you use the car for?
    Jon

shiggins92 and Nige like this.
  3. shiggins92 Forum Member

Well I have found the T1R's to be terrible in the wet but it doesnt bother me as I dont really push my car in the wet only when dry. When dry and I lower the psi a little I find them to be really good when needed!

I was just wondering if it is worth it I mean theres nothing wrong with more grip but will I notice the difference in speed due to drag?

I do like having 15x7 but I have to use 25mm spacers due to having porsche brakes :/ and im sure they are eating away at my bearings.

A few track days a year and a bit of fast road driving/daily for half a year